Skip to main content
Topic: mercury cyclone (Read 4349 times) previous topic - next topic

mercury cyclone

Reply #3
Poor Cyclone, that would be a big dollar resto if anyone attempted it.  Being a plain 302 car, probably not worth it.  My best friend had a 71 Cyclone GT (the next generation body style) many years ago.  Such a rare beast that hardly anyone knew what it was ... many thought it was a GTO or a Charger.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

mercury cyclone

Reply #4
It's not a 302 car. The S code in the vin makes it a 390
Car
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

mercury cyclone

Reply #5
The VIN says "S" = 390, but someone on 302 badges... and that seems to be a rather, uh, narrow 390 (but I'm not a big block expert).  I wish some of these cars could talk.  They may tell us of tails of wrecks, engine abuse and midnight swaps, of cobbling together a drivetrain or door swaps with whatever was available up in the mountains.

Still, a pretty cool old find. :D

But cynical me, I'd need to see the inner fender or dash VIN stamps to see if they match. :o

mercury cyclone

Reply #6
Quote from: BornInAFord;443061
The VIN says "S" = 390, but someone on 302 badges... and that seems to be a rather, uh, narrow 390 (but I'm not a big block expert).  I wish some of these cars could talk.  They may tell us of tails of wrecks, engine abuse and midnight swaps, of cobbling together a drivetrain or door swaps with whatever was available up in the mountains.

Still, a pretty cool old find. :D

But cynical me, I'd need to see the inner fender or dash VIN stamps to see if they match. :o

That is sadly not the original 390. It's just a 302...my random guess is that during the gas crunch, someone swapped the stuff in from a low model Mustang, and put the big block in the other car, or something like that, perhaps.

ed shame...if it were all there, it'd be worth a couple of socks full of silver dollars, for sure.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

mercury cyclone

Reply #7
Whoops, I didn't even pay attention to the VIN tag.  The 'S' code would indeed be the Holley 4V equipped 390.  The owner at the dealership I used to work at has a nice 67 Mustang GTA 390 ragtop 'S' code car that I got to take to a few events on his behalf ... nice machine.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

mercury cyclone

Reply #8
I want it. How much?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

mercury cyclone

Reply #9
Way back in the day, was mineX
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

mercury cyclone

Reply #10
Sweet ride, snazzy jacket too lol
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

mercury cyclone

Reply #11
Even without squinting, I can see the family resemblance in the 1/4 window treatment between the Fox Cougars and this cyclone.  The proportions are similar, too, despite the different platforms and generations.

mercury cyclone

Reply #12
I am always intrigued when I see a car seemingly sunk in a yard in an awkward position like that. Not parked in a spot, not along the fence, but right in the middle of the yard with the wheels turned. Make me wonder how it ended up there. I'm weird like that though, lol.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

mercury cyclone

Reply #13
Looks like someone may have parked it, expecting to get back to it. 2 visible centercaps are in the driver side rear floorboard, as is the arm rest from the driver door. Glass looks good, makes me wonder how long it has sat there?

Scott, any info on this car?

I wish it were possible for me to get it, though it would still sit, but at least it would be off the ground and out of the weather, though for the forseeable future that is all I could give to it.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6