Skip to main content
Topic: New here with an 88 TC (Read 3206 times) previous topic - next topic

New here with an 88 TC

Hello all, I'm a longtime Ford / Mercury lover and owner that made a deal on a nice 88 Turbo Coupe this week.  It is a high mileage car that was completely taken apart for the repaint several years ago, and hasn't covered a lot of miles since then.  The engine and trans are out of a lower mile but rusty TC that was parted out by the same person.

Plans are to lower it a bit, and probably do a 5-lug swap to open up the aftermarket wheel selection.

It's a 5-speed car with a black & grey cloth interior.  Worst part of the car cosmetically is some fading on the tops of the seats.  Nice to be in a Fox car again.  Previously I've had an 87 Mustang LX 5.0 hatch brand new back in the day, an 85 Marquis LTS 5.0 (Canadian-only Merc version of the LTD LX), an 85 Capri RS 5.0L, an 85 Marquis wagon, an 87 Mark VII LSC, and an 89 Mustang GT.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

New here with an 88 TC

Reply #1
Beautiful car.  Welcome to the forum.  Hope you stay a while.  This is a great community.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

New here with an 88 TC

Reply #2
Thanks, I've picked up a lot of good info just browsing through older posts so far.  I should have also mentioned that I've been a T-Bird and Cougar owner before, just not a Fox.  95 Super Coupe 5-speed, 66 Thunderbird Town Hardtop 390-4V, and a 68 Cougar 289 that we converted to EFI using a Fox Mustang 5.0 system.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

New here with an 88 TC

Reply #3
If you havent already ready found it....  http://www.turbotbird.com  is specific on the turbo birds....really a nice site like this one.

Nice looking TC, also quite the list of cars....

Travis

New here with an 88 TC

Reply #4
Thanks Travis, I did find NATO as well.
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

New here with an 88 TC

Reply #5
Like the others have said "WELCOME".. Thanks for posting pics of your TC . You will find we love pics here. Great looking ride.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

New here with an 88 TC

Reply #6
That's just beautiful as-is.  I wouldn't change a thing.
T-Birds can't fly.  Ask how I know...

New here with an 88 TC

Reply #7
welcome
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

New here with an 88 TC

Reply #8
Welcome
88 tc red, 5 speed daily driver/work in progress.
01 f150 4" lift, 35" tall mud tires, (needs a bigger lift)
88 tc black. New leather interior, motor is a work in progress.

New here with an 88 TC

Reply #9
Awesome ride :).

Lower it a bit and leave the wheels alone. Looks awesome as is.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

New here with an 88 TC

Reply #10
Welcome, Nice ride, what is the story on the mustang in the background?

New here with an 88 TC

Reply #11
Pics are from the seller's storage space behind his business.  Calypso green car is a 93 notch that belongs to a friend of his.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

New here with an 88 TC

Reply #12
Quote from: Lodemia;443028
That's just beautiful as-is.  I wouldn't change a thing.

X2

Very nice looking ride. Sue & I are really fond of our 88TCs
Ron
Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?    (M. M.)

New here with an 88 TC

Reply #13
Considering the nice refinish done on the wheels, and the fact that they have decent tires on them as well, I will likely leave them on for this year at least.  I've ordered a pair of 1" bolt-on wheel spacers to bring the rears out a bit closer to the fenders ... that's the one thing that always bugged me about the appearance of the 87-88s with the long front control arms, front tires out at the edge of the fenders, and rears tucked under. 

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

New here with an 88 TC

Reply #14
Very nice score, and welcome to the madness.  I have 3 Silver Foxes, yours would look very nice in the mix.........

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler