Skip to main content
Topic: PRC shocks (Read 3215 times) previous topic - next topic

PRC shocks

Someone knowledgeable about the TC PRC's discuss with me "why" would I want to add these to my car.

I have noticed a couple users here say they are very reliable and a good choice.

I would be interested in adding these to my 87 winter project but need to understand the benefits of doing so and what all I will need.

I assume I need the mechanicals and electrics,,,

I do not know if ABS would be required to add these, something tells me the answer is no.

PRC shocks

Reply #1
Abs shouldn't be required but the prc ECM, all the associated wiring and coils and the firm/auto switch.

I know you love a challenge but if a less mushy ride is your goal id shop around for some 10 way adjustable shocks and struts and then you can tune your ride.

I know strange makes them as does Koni. I think Bilstein also has them available.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

PRC shocks

Reply #2
I had the PRC shocks/struts on my white car...I manually set them to firm by turning the little adjusters in the tops with a pair of needle nose pliers. 1/4 of a turn switches it from firm to auto. I wouldn't bother with setting the wiring and shiznit up, as you can't find these struts and shocks anywhere but off of existing cars...they aren't made anymore.

Or do as Justin suggests and get some adjustables.

Throw on some front and rear TC sway bars, some poly endlinks, and you'll improve the handling about 50% over stock. You can also change out the control arm bushings with poly parts (Energy suspension, for example) and really tighten her up.

Note though...it will almost be harsh...if you want a smoother stock like ride, new rubber bushings are the ticket.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

PRC shocks

Reply #3
No "almost" about it - it WILL be harsh. I ruined my T-Bird that way. Yes, it handled like no T-Bird has a right to handle, but it was very, VERY rough on the road. I could run over a squirrel and tell what it had for dinner...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

PRC shocks

Reply #4
I will tell you that if you can swing a set of Bilsteins for your car you will have some of the best dampers money can buy on your car.  I have ridden in several with them and the ride was smooth but when you needed them to be aggressive and keep the tires planted they were all there.  I ran the Tokico Illumina 5-way adjustible dampers and the H&R Super Sport springs on my Coupe years ago and they were awesome.  If memory serves me correct I ran the fronts on 3 and the rear on 2.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

PRC shocks

Reply #5
As far as bushings go the 03-04 Cobra bushings are pretty good. I've got them on my Thunderbird. They are some sort of rubber/poly hybrid. The bushings are harder than the stock rubber ones but softer than poly bushings. The ride is firm but not harsh.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

PRC shocks

Reply #6
Quote from: thunderjet302;442868
As far as bushings go the 03-04 Cobra bushings are pretty good. I've got them on my Thunderbird. They are some sort of rubber/poly hybrid. The bushings are harder than the stock rubber ones but softer than poly bushings. The ride is firm but not harsh.

Which bushings are you talking about
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

PRC shocks

Reply #7
Yeh...I don't want energy in my coupe...had 'em in my Sport, that was enough for me. ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

PRC shocks

Reply #8
just so I understand correctly, the original PRC shocks still floating out there are still the OEM ford units (or motorcraft)? And there is no rebuild service?
1990 SC 35th Anniv 5speed 1994 SC 5-speed Teal, 1995 SC 5-speed Chameleon Blue
91 Audi V8 Quatttro, 03 Audi S8, 1991 BMW 850i 6-speed,1994 BMW 850CSi 6-speed 2012 Range Rover Autobigraphy

PRC shocks

Reply #9
Nope. No warranty, no new ones, unless you can find some NOS (new old stock) and odds are that's not likely, and if so, ed sure not cheap.

Not sure on the mechanics of the valving and if can be rebuilt or not. I'd say likely not by the average guy, anyhow.

If you had a complete parts car, and the wiring and the PRC controller, I'd go for it. Like i mentioned above, I swapped them into my '88 3.8 car along with the TC swaybars and wheels and some good tires and made the sloppy car firm right up.

I didn't wire them though, I merely set them on firm before install, and left them alone. Probably a stiffer, more supple ride than a stock V8 replacement shock/strut, but definitely not as harsh as some aftermarket parts will net.

I may/may not have a full set of PRC shocks and struts out back...have the controller, and it's hopeful at best if I have the wiring still from that TC...in any case, I'm not going to sort out the specific wires, but if someone wanted the PRC shiznit, I'd sell it for 75 bucks plus the taxi ride...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

PRC shocks

Reply #10
Quote from: Ramos617;442870
Which bushings are you talking about

Front lower control arms from 03-04 Cobra, the best of the factory SN95 arms.  You would have to swap out the ball joints, or use a spacer on the originals, to mount them with Fox spindles.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR