Skip to main content
Topic: 'Vintage' picture (Read 3566 times) previous topic - next topic

'Vintage' picture

Denver, May 1985.  Guess it's 'vintage'. ;)

X
tbirdregistry.com

'Vintage' picture

Reply #1
Do I spy TRX wheels?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

'Vintage' picture

Reply #2
Quote from: V8Demon;442113
Do I spy TRX wheels?
Pic too fuzzy to tell, but that looks like a Fox body wagon parked on the street, I'd say Fairmont/Zephyr, could be a Granada/Cougar, but deff not an LTD/Marquis.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

'Vintage' picture

Reply #3
Hmmm,  I think I see a Pontiac Fiero; A Toyota Celica and a Ford LTD all in the same area.  I am lousy identifying cars, but that's my guess.  You should locate this scene/place by street address--check it on Google Maps, as of today, and then post this picture in website Whatwasthere.com.  Interesting website. Takes practice to overlay the picture but the website is neat.  Or tell me the street address and I could post it for you. 

JR

'Vintage' picture

Reply #4
Also what's either a Yugo or a Gen I/II Volkswagen Golf, a Fiat X1/9, a GM G-body (which probably had a broken driver's seat even back then), and what appears to be a Cutlass Ciera 4 door next to the T-bird.  I AM pretty sure those are in fact TRX wheels BTW....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

'Vintage' picture

Reply #5
Yeah, V8 Demon I was thinking the white shorty one was a Yugo, but thought American makers had similar size vehicles then.  I wonder what that Landau roof GM one is...  Also, if that pickup is what I think --isn't it one of those GM saddle gas tank jobs which became the subject of scrutiny because the tanks are behind the cab and along the bed sidewalls on either side?  A nice surprise for anyone T-boning the truck in those areas...

JR

'Vintage' picture

Reply #6
Quote from: JKATHRE;442251
Also, if that pickup is what I think --isn't it one of those GM saddle gas tank jobs which became the subject of scrutiny because the tanks are behind the cab and along the bed sidewalls on either side?  A nice surprise for anyone T-boning the truck in those areas...
JR

Definitely a Yu(don't)go, those are TRX wheels, and I believe it was NBC, they tried to set one off, and couldn't do it via a side impact crash, so they just used a toy rocket motor and rammed another vehicle into at the same time. Hmmmm...

(not a shout out to GM, those were some of the ugliest, rat-trap trucks I've ever been around..and that's including the 4 or 5 dodges I dealt with, too).
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

'Vintage' picture

Reply #7
I liked those Toyota celicas then and even now

chris1987lx has a non-hatch from the same era, he never comes around anymore..... seems he got picked on too much here.

'Vintage' picture

Reply #8

...A coworker/friend of mine bought a new '79 Toyota Celica in June that year.  He was raving mad about US automakers downsizing their late '70s vehicles and raising prices at the same time--Imagine that!!!  It was a sign of things to come due to the new era of rising US gasoline prices and a short lived gas shortage here in '79--minicking 1974.  The puppiesanese at the time were selling these cars well, and their rep for quality was already making news.  These hatchbacks were the fad.  Being tall, I was paranoid trying to sit comfortably in these cars and never cared for them--plus they were marketed with manual trannys for fuel economy.  I myself was driving a '78 Chev Malibu which had a V-6 engine which I learned was a V-8 with 2 cylinders lopped off.  It remains one of the worst performing cars I ever drove. 

JR

'Vintage' picture

Reply #9
There's definetly a darker Volvo 240 in that bunch! Guessing brown color

And a probably white colored VW Golf

'Vintage' picture

Reply #10
Quote from: JKATHRE;442218
Hmmm,  I think I see a Pontiac Fiero; A Toyota Celica and a Ford LTD all in the same area.  I am lousy identifying cars, but that's my guess.  You should locate this scene/place by street address--check it on Google Maps, as of today, and then post this picture in website Whatwasthere.com.  Interesting website. Takes practice to overlay the picture but the website is neat.  Or tell me the street address and I could post it for you. 

JR

Don't have the exact address but here is how the picture is described:

View of the 16th (Sixteenth) Street Mall in downtown Denver, Colorado. Shows parking lots, the Empire Building (at Glenarm Street), storefronts, the Holiday Inn, and the Hilton Hotel (I. M. Pei, architect). Signs read: "Zales Jewelry" "Schlotzsky's" "Hotel De Witt" and "Holiday Inn."

I tried to find the building on the corner in Google maps but no luck.  Maybe someone else can find it?

And here is the source of the original picture I zoomed in on to see the TBird (w/ TRX wheels!)  :)

http://cdm15330.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/83133/rec/1

Quickly checked out whatwasthere.com,  cool! Need to check it out more.  Thanks for the link!
tbirdregistry.com

'Vintage' picture

Reply #11
More spotting fun, :)
tbirdregistry.com

'Vintage' picture

Reply #12
Another.  Call it Denver2
tbirdregistry.com

'Vintage' picture

Reply #13
I took a look at Google Maps and the only building I could possibly ID was a Sheraton Hotel--which appears to be the wide dark high rise in the upper left corner of your pic.  It is still there.  Incredibly, nothing else remains other than the 16th St Mall appearance itself.  I was last in downtown Denver in 1998 and I remember looking at the ballpark and the main railroad station (Classic style). Much of the railroad yard acreage was abandoned and I took this picture--the terminal is on the left side--hard to miss it.  ps-I loaded my picture into Whatwasthere.com.  The weird part is the Google street address I used is on 16th St Mall---the street was extended toward my vantage point in the same general area.  The city must have acquired the land from the railroad, I presume.  Railroads have disposed of much of their land holdings over the last 30 or so years. 

JR

'Vintage' picture

Reply #14
Quote from: rodsterh;442504
Another.  Call it Denver2

Going from the upper left counterclockwise. Chevy Impala, Porsche, Toyota?, Early foxbody notch (YEA BABY!), Monte Carlo, Mercury something (Comet?), Buick Regal, Dodge duster, Pontiac Grand Prix, Pinto baby!!, ??, Then there's a Trans Am and is that a Pinto wagon next to the TA?, Buick Sylark?, Buick Century?, Ford Ranger.
1986 TC 100% stock
1983 TC modded (sold) :(
"nitrous is for guys who can't build motors"