Skip to main content
Topic: blower motor (Read 3780 times) previous topic - next topic

blower motor

Is there a trick to this? Or is it as bad or worse then a heater core? Guy at autozone said you just pull the glove box, but there ain't no way it could even fit.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

blower motor

Reply #1
Pull the dash, then the whole heater box. The rest is self explanatory.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

blower motor

Reply #2
On an A/C car, the blower motor does go in from the firewall side of the heater box. The blower housing with the air recirculation door, comes out seperately from the rest of the heater box.  Working through the glove box opening, it can be dropped down under the dash for removal.

blower motor

Reply #3
Hitting this now, hopefully I'll have heat again. The 60's temp wise have been a blessing, but snow and a 3hr daily round trip are getting old.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

blower motor

Reply #4
The squirrel cage was discontinued. I carefully removed mine, despite the cracks in it. Fired up the motor, it turned fine, started the car, hit the high setting on the fan, and was rewarded with a Big Bang as the squirrel cage exploded
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

blower motor

Reply #5
So you need a squirrel cage..?

I've got 2 or 3 heater boxes I'm about to throw in the ditch...let me know whatya need. Yours for shipping costs.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

blower motor

Reply #6
On the way to the junkyard now, but id throw ya some money for one as a back up. Ill send ya a pm when i get back.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

blower motor

Reply #7
yes, please don't toss the  blower motors or the resistors.....
count me in on some $ for a spare resistor and blower...

the box I guess you could toss,
manual systems are more common, my 20th is climate control.

the climate control systems are a tad different , and if you can tell the difference, that would be nice.

blower motor

Reply #8
Blower motor and box looked identical to me. I pulled a eatc blower motor off an 87 bird for the squirrel cage, then they wanted to charge me for the motor too, so i ended up just swapping in the junkyard blower motor. I took the plastic sides off the blower motor and the junkyard, but i believe they are identical.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

blower motor

Reply #9
I lied. The blend door actuated or whatever its called, it is slightly different. It looked like just a different bracket bolted to the same blower motor box though.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

blower motor

Reply #10
they are a bitch to drop but ive had to drop my blower out and it always ended up coming out of the bottom, didn't have to pull the dash.
there's absolutely zero room to even get to the rear fasteners, I think there is a wire harness around the back part of the motor itself that shares a mounting bolt.,,, sux to high heaven to simply drop out the bottom but I know I did it years ago in my white coug.
somehow I seemed to manage getting the rear mount hardware out though,, perhaps I didn't put the last mount bolt though..

blower motor

Reply #11
I pulled the whole blower motor blend door box. One bolt goes on the top right corner, two bolts from underneath, and one bolt goes right on the left side where the heater core opening goes through. Just dropping the glove box down no need to unbolt it. In 10-15 minutes, i could have the blower motor swapped. Bit of a bitch to put back in, not slot of wiggle room.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

blower motor

Reply #12
Yeah, not a bad job. My old Cougar had been in an accident before I got it. Required pulling the dash because that little bit of wiggle room to remove the blower housing was gone. :toilet: