Skip to main content
Topic: heater core reinforcement (Read 2078 times) previous topic - next topic

heater core reinforcement

hey guys, im new here. my dad (jcassity) finally got me to make an account on the site.

attached is a modification to an aftermarket heater core to add a support. to the piping of the heater core. the theory is that it will mimic the oem designed heater core's support solder weld, therefore HOPEFULLY making the heater core less likely to blow from vibration alone.

gotta give credit to my dad for the idea.

let me know your thoughts on the mod.

Reply #1
Well done. I should've done that to mine before I nstalled it. Too late now. Mine is fine, but added insurance sure can't hurt.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
 it, now you come up with and show me this after I installed mine..........  I think that should help alot.  Does it feel stiffer if you try and wiggle it?
Mike

Reply #3
That is a definite weak spot on Foxbody cars (as it is on most cars)………..Well Done!
Ron
Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?    (M. M.)

Reply #4
if you have the lower intake tubing still in play like most of us do, the engine movement back and forth "should" weaken the pipes and their joints I would think.

nice job chance

Reply #5
BUT if you use Silicone heater hose there is no chance of a vibration failure. Just saying. By the way a brace between the 2 hose outlets about 1 inch above the core connector works very good. many heater cores have nipple braces across the tubes. What i do is use one of the old nipples from the old core and solder it app 1 inch up across both tubes. This way you support both tubes and connect them together. But good mod my friend
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #6
I agree with tom. A brace between tubes would be easy to add.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
Wish I had thought of that. I've had the whole dash out of my car twice in 26 years and it is no fun. Put in a new core and new evap last time and padded them well but never thought of reinforcing the nipples. True performance engineering, ccassity. And if you go over to the electrical aisle you might still find 40/60 lead solder.

Reply #8
You know I replaced the heater core on my Thunderbird almost ten years ago with a Motorcraft part (probably one of the last ones that looked like the factory part) and it has supports on the pipe. There is a trick to not breaking the pipes though. When you remove the hoses from the core never, never, ever twist them off in an attempt to remove them. Just cut them off and buy new ones. The extra $20 you spend on hoses is worth it to not have to replace the heater core when you break a tube off trying to twist the heater hose off the core.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.