Skip to main content
Topic: '87 Cougar digital dash issue (Read 4041 times) previous topic - next topic

'87 Cougar digital dash issue

Hey All,

Like the title says I have an issue. The instrument cluster is the full digital. On Saturday I had to change the heater core and when doing this I remove just enough to get to the heater box lid on the passenger side obviously. The instrument cluster was not messed with or disconnected at all. Now the tach side with the gauges is not working at all after reassembling. So, I pulled the cluster just to see if anything had been unplugged and everything looks secure. The speedo and trip side of the cluster work fine.  Any ideas or where to look???:dunno:

Thanks for looking!
Only in America do we use the word "politics" to describe the process so well: "POLI" in latin meaning "many", "TICS" meaning "bloodsucking creatures".

Reply #1
Could have caught wiring in the center stack area,  I remember hearing about that after heater core change.  Dumb question, did you check the bulb itself for that side?
Mike

Reply #2
wow,, your experience is what I feared so I did this
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?34998-AND-NOW!!!!-It-s-a-1hour-or-less-heater-core&daysprune=100

finish extracting cluster to the point you can wiggle test the connector with the key on,, actually you will have to have the key on in order to have the column shifter DOWN.

after that and nothing on the wiggle test of the wiring into the connector or connector to the cluster yields any positive results.....
unplug the cluster and start looking for the wire or connector that came loose.

your saying the "Whole" side for tac is dark?

Reply #3
I have shop manuals that go much deeper into the electronic cluster for troubleshooting steps,, I never got around to scanning those up yet but, to be afraid to check out the 87evtm below in my signature

Reply #4
Quote from: mcb82gt;439522
Could have caught wiring in the center stack area,  I remember hearing about that after heater core change.  Dumb question, did you check the bulb itself for that side?

No, i didn't check the bulb. Think it could be that, it's like its totally dead....can't see anything. I thought that maybe you could barely see the read outs but not illuminated with a bad bulb.

Quote from: jcassity;439523
wow,, your experience is what I feared so I did this
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?34998-AND-NOW!!!!-It-s-a-1hour-or-less-heater-core&daysprune=100

finish extracting cluster to the point you can wiggle test the connector with the key on,, actually you will have to have the key on in order to have the column shifter DOWN.

after that and nothing on the wiggle test of the wiring into the connector or connector to the cluster yields any positive results.....
unplug the cluster and start looking for the wire or connector that came loose.

your saying the "Whole" side for tac is dark?

Wow, that was a good idea! My Dad did something similar to a '79 firebird he had years ago. The blower motor went out and to change it you have to pull the passenger side inner fender which is no fun!! So, he cut a hole in the inner fender big enough to remove the blower motor and made a sheet metal plate to cover the hole.

Yeah, totally dead and the warning chime keeps beeping too.

Thanks for the replies, going to dig a bit into it after work!
Only in America do we use the word "politics" to describe the process so well: "POLI" in latin meaning "many", "TICS" meaning "bloodsucking creatures".

Reply #5
Burned out bulb will appear with no illumination, if you shine a light on the cluster you can still see the data below.
Mike

Reply #6
Ok, bulb it was! Picked up some 194 LED lights and made a significant difference! Thanks for the responses!

Reply #7
Glad it was easy fix.  There is a easy way to reset that service light under the speedo, if thats what it is.
Mike

Reply #8
Oh yeah? How do I go about doing that?

Reply #9
, I knew that was coming LOL.  Ill look it up and post it, I cant remember off the top of my head, but I know its easy.

Had to get my manual.  Press trip and trip reset at same time and hold till 3 beeps and light should go out.
Mike

Reply #11
Hey! How's it going? I'll check them.

Reply #12
Quote from: mcb82gt;439568
, I knew that was coming LOL.  Ill look it up and post it, I cant remember off the top of my head, but I know its easy.

Had to get my manual.  Press trip and trip reset at same time and hold till 3 beeps and light should go out.

Ok I'll give that a try tomorrow! Thanx!

Reply #13
its a service reminder, that's all.
learning that trick cost me a 12pack of beer from 7eleven to be hand delivered to the dealership tech, he said he would have the issue cleared before I got back and I bet him he would not.  that was in 1991 down in va beach.  I was pretty green to these cars then but had been driving them for a while by then.

Reply #14
Well I tried that and in less then 2 seconds it was gone!! Thanks for the tip; that light has been on for years!!