Skip to main content
Topic: Regulator where coolant lines pass through firewall? (Read 2658 times) previous topic - next topic

Regulator where coolant lines pass through firewall?

My heater core recently popped, and as a band-aid fix to keep driving, I just just disconnected the coolant lines where they go into the firewall and bridged them. On one of the hookups on the firewall (not sure if it's the inlet or outlet), there's an insert that chokes down the diameter. I know the heater core that popped was put in before by some back-country mechanic who used a cheap one (hence why it cracked after a few years), and I'm wondering if that was something he put in to restrict pressure to it? Heat had never been that great in it. Right now I left it in with the new (better) heater core and heat is decent but not as hot as a new car. Has anyone seen that regulator insert? I'm thinking about removing it if it's not supposed to be there.

Reply #1
It's supposed to be there
They are installed to restrict flow and pressure so the heater core lasts longer
I did a ton of research when I was replacing the one in my Fox with a NOS unit and the consensus is to make sure you have one on there on the inlet side
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #2
or a socket as a restrictor.

back country?

Reply #3
Make very sure its on the inlet side.
Mike

Reply #4
Not needed. have a great weekend
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #5
Quote from: TOM Renzo;439323
Not needed. have a great weekend

X2 I've never used one and never had a problem.

Reply #6
I absolutely use one,  the cores are weak enough and will buy you more time by limiting the full flow through the core.  Not needed.... maybe so, but I wouldnt consider running without one.

What is the drawback..... Nothing.  My car has enough heat to cook you out.

If there is a drawback you let me know.... If not perceived needed, Ford sure as hell wouldnt have put them in.
Mike

Reply #8
Quote from: mcb82gt;439339
I absolutely use one,  the cores are weak enough and will buy you more time by limiting the full flow through the core. .

I examined and installed one of the last OEM usa made cores against an advance unit.

the construction of the oem units are visually more durable.
the fittings as they transition out are supported by additional globs of weld (the tubes don't just come "straight" out of the core assy)

the advance unit did not have this additional supporting for the entry/exit tubes.
the physical weight of the oem unit was 6oz heavier than the aftermarket variety as well.... kinda got me on board with using the restrictor as a "habit" only because one day I wont have the durable oem core available.

unless,, however Tom  happens to know of a rock solid good replacement, I agree with what was said, the aftermarket cores I worry are too skinny on the engineering side.

Reply #9
Ok lets  do this???> Why the restrictor and why in the 3/4 inch side. Well simple the 5/8 side is the return. Wny is this done. because they needed to slow down the coolant flow through the core. WHY to allow the heat to be exhorbed in the core to transfer it to the cabin. So installing the restrictor in the large side does what???> It was installed to reduce GIRGLING NOISE through the core that customers complained about. If the core was girgling it meant there was lower pressure. Thats why it made noise. According to FORD it also allows the coolant to stay longer in the core for better heat. Reason being the flow rate of a 302 is app 1/16 faster than a  2.3 So why the restrictor. Both mustangs with either a 302 or 2.3 has the restrictor. And some do not?? Now the TC does not. I have changed enough heater hoses to conform this. So basically the restrictor can be installed to quiet down the system as posted above and confirmed by FORD as such. Pressure in the system is the same no matter where it is checked. Flow through the core does not effect pressure. The core does not care about flow restricted to control pressures. Well, if you believe thr restrictor controls pressure across the core. The radiator has a double duty. Flow is restricted when the stat is closed and reduced when opened. I dont think so. So does a thermostat reduce the pressure across the radiator core ??? NOPE Does a heater core restrictor reduce pressure NOPE. It allows the core to run hotter and quieter. That is what Ford explained to us. There was also a TSB on the issue. have a great weekend guys

Note the restrictor has a pointed side to ease it's instillation in the hose. Another words make it easier to push it in the hose. Many cars reduce heater core flow. Oldsmobile does it at the heater valve after the flow side. Chevy does not. It has a different type of restrictor called a spiral. Never seen one on a early dodge just later ones. But dodge uses a 1/2 Inch return line on early cars. So whats with that. It is on the non pressure side. OOPS could DODGE be not caring about this . Or is it that Dodge likes to reduce flow after the fact. That is the question at hand. Heat transfer not pressure control. But installing one either way makes no difference in my thinking That is exactly why ford calls it a flow valve not a pressure reducing valve. Just me !!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #10
I never understood the temp sensor in the atc. When I would fire up the defroster and se windows, it always pissed me off to climb in the car and have no heater running
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
You mean the blower motor?? That can be fixed by jumping out the delay sensor. Normally in the heater hose. It is by the fire wall. Jump the wires together to eliminate the delay. They did that to not allow the blower to blow cold air in the cab till the coolant reached i think 100* or so.

Reply #12
Quote from: TOM Renzo;439375
Ok lets  do this???> Why the restrictor and why in the 3/4 inch side. Well simple the 5/8 side is the return. Wny is this done. because they needed to slow down the coolant flow through the core. WHY to allow the heat to be exhorbed in the core to transfer it to the cabin. So installing the restrictor in the large side does what???> It was installed to reduce GIRGLING NOISE through the core that customers complained about. If the core was girgling it meant there was lower pressure. Thats why it made noise. According to FORD it also allows the coolant to stay longer in the core for better heat. Reason being the flow rate of a 302 is app 1/16 faster than a  2.3 So why the restrictor. Both mustangs with either a 302 or 2.3 has the restrictor. And some do not?? Now the TC does not. I have changed enough heater hoses to conform this. So basically the restrictor can be installed to quiet down the system as posted above and confirmed by FORD as such. Pressure in the system is the same no matter where it is checked. Flow through the core does not effect pressure. The core does not care about flow restricted to control pressures. Well, if you believe thr restrictor controls pressure across the core. The radiator has a double duty. Flow is restricted when the stat is closed and reduced when opened. I dont think so. So does a thermostat reduce the pressure across the radiator core ??? NOPE Does a heater core restrictor reduce pressure NOPE. It allows the core to run hotter and quieter. That is what Ford explained to us. There was also a TSB on the issue. have a great weekend guys

Do you have a link to the TSB for our cars?

Here's one for later generation Fords. cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/tsb05-14/tsb06-21-19.pdf
It says the restrictor is to prevent damage to the inlet/outlet pipes due to excessive flow.

Reply #13
I wonder why ford is calling it a restrictor? atleast that's what I have known it to be.  it was said they used a different term.