Skip to main content
Topic: The Cats looking forlorn.... (Read 3403 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Cats looking forlorn....

Reply #15
Seeing as I'm an odd , I've contemplated a "period correct" 2.8 V6 for the '80...fuel-injected with some stuff from the UK, and controlled by a Mega Squirt, and maybe a single turbo. That may change though. Nothing fancy. All I know is no 5.0, and probably not a 2.3T in it either (even though it's fairly light..about the same as the 83-86's..esp when I lose the auto)..

I like that idea.  Give the "period correct" motor some updating and power.  I always thought that was cool anyway.

Reply #16
Put the new 4.0 from a wrecked 2005 Mustang, complete with 5-spd auto...

Nah...there's enough space for a DOHC 4.6 in there. :)
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #17
Quote from: Chuck W
The 80-82 dashes were different than the 83-84, but the cluster fit's in there nicely though, but I'd like to have some faces made up to match the silver one that was in there.  I've thought about using alot of that dead space above the dash there in that warning light area to put in some digital gauges..

I have a spare 83-84 cluster with a silver face, however, it doesn't have the tachmeter on it.

EDIT:i just remembered it's also got the canadian speedo,  :canada: so never mind i guess..

Reply #18
Thanks Alex-
If I could find a way tp make some new faces I would.  I've tried in the past, but have not been successful in doing them....not sure how is the "best" way to do it.

I'd also like to rework the stock one as well in the Tbird so as to have it recalibrated for 150pmh (I know they can do it for the mechanical ones....)

pro-five-oh.....nah..no 4.6... :p
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #19
talk to Eric about it, he made all the ones for the buttstuffog clusters, he might be able to help ya out

ive even worked on using his to make a custom set, havnt finished or used them, but im working on it
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #20
How about something relatively simple, like a 4.0 SOHC from an Exploder/Ranger? Not a barnstormer, but 205 horses is better than any of these cars ever saw stock, and there should be enough rolled Explorers to be able to find one. The 4.0 SOHC is, as you stated, Cologne based. Hell, you might even be able to find a supercharger kit for one (don't know, never looked).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #21
you might even be able to find a supercharger kit for one (don't know, never looked).

They are available.  But....cost prohibitive to say the least.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0