Skip to main content
Topic: Headlights (Read 3510 times) previous topic - next topic

Headlights

Hi guys,
My current headlights have got condensation in them. And I already saw that on coolcats.net you can do an H4 conversion. The part that im confused about, is do I have to modify the harness at all for the h4 bulbs? Do I have to buy a short adapter type thing?

And I was also thinking about getting the black headlight covers....give the car a darth vader-y look. Thoughts?

Thanks
-Kyle
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Headlights

Reply #1
I would do the slave relay mod for your headlamps.. in my diy link below..........
this way you don't run your headlamp current through your headlamp switch.

I also have a couple threads / links to taking apart 87/88 headlamps in my diy link below as well but your  a 4eyed, just something to check out.

do the relay mod... that will let you put off the wire for wire upgrade.
relay mods are also in the diy link.

Headlights

Reply #2
you could also do the ignition switch slave relay mod as well... that will take the current off the ign switch and put it on your relays.

Headlights

Reply #3
...those seem complicated. I dont electricity really. Its Black magic
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Headlights

Reply #4
good point,,
you may actually stand a chance of learning something new though!,,,
or phone a friend if you want this to go smooth.
you want to do it in a way that you can safely back out and migrate to the original layout if  your conversion fails... for some unknown reason.

Headlights

Reply #5
Idea, couldnt I get a relay for off-road lights (such as KC or Hella) then use that relay. Cuz with relays, dont you have 4 pr0ngs? So you have low current in/out and high current in/out? So i could use the switched power as the low current. And then run a cable straight from the battery to serve as the high current side.

Am i thinking of this properly?

Headlights

Reply #6
An H4 conversion harness will have the isolated relays for the headlights, and the source power is directly from the battery itself. It needs only to hook up to one of the old low beam plugs to get the high/low beam switching. You can let the other 3 stock bulb harnesses hang there; the conversion harness will be wired properly for H4 bulbs.

See here for example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-HEADLIGHT-RELAY-WIRING-HARNESS-4-HEADLAMP-LIGHT-BULB-SOCKET-PLUGS-4X6-/231025300218

That's essentially what I'm running on the '86 with no issues whatsoever; it's been flawless for 10+ years.
So there's the black magic removed for you. ;)

Headlights

Reply #7
Thats perfect!!! Its idiot proof!

Headlights

Reply #8
that's a lot of stuff for the price!!!!!!!! 
gotta save this linky,, especially with your endorsp00get which takes away my skepticism

Headlights

Reply #9
last question, what wattage bulbs can I use if I get that nifty harness? I think the oem bulbs are 55/60W

Headlights

Reply #12
But what if I want to blind oncoming traffic? lol, but really what if I just went up slightly in wattage?

Headlights

Reply #14
...yeah, got some real crazies here. watch out lol