Skip to main content
Topic: Where to buy new headlights? (Read 2670 times) previous topic - next topic

Where to buy new headlights?

For the last several years, I've been on the lookout for new headlight housings. I've tried the restoration kits but the problem is that mine are oxidized on the inside, and the reflective coating has worn off as well. Any ideas where I could order new ones?

Reply #1
For the 87-88 T-birds good luck.  A company used to make replacement ones and you could get a set on Ebay for around $85.  That stopped a few years ago.  Best bet is a good used set and keep the ones you have, restore them, and have them for later.  The 87-88 Cougar lamps were the same on 89-94 Lincoln Continentals and a Ford parts search shows them still available through the Ford parts network if you look up under Continental.  $219 a piece WITHOUT the adjuster.  $333 WITH. 

Good used set of T-bird lights here....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-1988-87-88-Ford-Thunderbird-Turbo-Coupe-Headlights-PAIR-OEM-2-3L-T-Bird-LX/181560409365?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D333008%26algo%3DRIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D25805%26meid%3Dd828408c2a7a49eab24ac6891708ddb4%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D10778%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D24%26sd%3D181560409603#viTabs_0

I've dealt with Ron (the seller of those particular lights) and he's very easy to deal with.  He's also a member on here.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
I though someone had a thread on here on how to restore them including the inside of them.  Its not easy but if I remember correctly very much something a person can do with a little time and lots of patience.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #3
Quote from: V8Demon;439126
For the 87-88 T-birds good luck.  A company used to make replacement ones and you could get a set on Ebay for around $85.  That stopped a few years ago.

The person you're thinking of - pretty certain those were NOS. I don't think anyone has ever made repros of the lights.

I don't think they can be found new anymore. Used is your only option. You could check around for places that could vacuum-chrome the reflectors for you. Then just sand the outside of the lens, clearcoat it with automotive-grade material, and be happy.

I have a pair that I purchased new some years back from eBay, then ran for less than a year before making new lights. If I ever get around to making a different new set of headlights from scratch, I would be willing to sell them off (preferably to a non-daily driver). They are mint, but I no longer have the original boxes. They are stored in other makeshift boxes now, up on some shelves, alongside all my other spare Tbird parts.

I won't be happy until I have quad 4000-lumen LED projectors up front with a drop-in emitter module, allowing easy upgrades as technology progresses. I've cleaned up my garage enough that I think this could be a real possible project this winter. As long as I have a table for a headerpanel, and my cnc router ready with dust shoe, mockups should be easy!
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #4
Your best bet is to find a set in DECENT shape and take your time cleaning them up. Good results can be had with a little time an work. When I picked up my 87 a few years ago it had new lights. The guy I bought it from said he paid $165 for each light. I have taken them out and waiting to paint my car( saveing them for that time). Wish I had asked where he got them.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #5
I have a set of NOS lights on the shelf. I have thought about installing them, but just don't have the heart to. Once upon a time I knew another set would show up in a couple of months on Ebay or something. Those days are gone.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
If I recall there are still some sites out there with NOS headlights but they are charging an arm and a leg

What I did was find a set with the reflective stuff in great shape, sand and buff the outside, put a protective coating and they look like new headlights
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #7
I don't know if it's accurate or not...the PN sure seemed correct...but I've bought a couple of Cougar/Continental HL's on eBay, and both were a relatively new cardboard box. The label font and design were newer Ford styles, and it said 'Copyright 2004'. On both. So, I'm feeling like those, anyway, were made up until '04. Which would be 10 years after the last year of the 1988-1994 generation Continental 4dr sedan. Sounds...plausible anyway? If true it would mean that there are plenty of NOS Ford HL's out there.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #8
Not for the Birds. It sucks.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #10
The lights on my car now are pretty sweet. I'd sell them to you for $155 shipped. Very nice shape. I'm installing my new ones.