Skip to main content
Topic: 88 Cougar 5 speed swapped.... (Read 547 times) previous topic - next topic

88 Cougar 5 speed swapped....

http://www.2040cars.com/Mercury/Cougar/1988-mercury-cougar-cougar-xr7-715395/

SOLD AS-IS

-GT 40P Crate Motor (approx . 15K miles)

-E303 Cam

-73 MM Mass Air Sensor

-Mass Air Conversion

-24 lb. Injectors

-MSD Coil

-MAC Shorty Headers (ceramic coated)

-MAC Power Pulleys (on crank and water pump)

-KIN Air filter

-190 lph Fuel Pump (new)

-Hi-flow Water Pump

-4 Wheel Disc Brake Conversion (Stainless Steel Brakes Kit)

-Cross Drilled and Slotted Front Brake Rotors I I "(new)

-Ford Mustang Front Spindles

-Front Ball Joints (new) (Moog)

-Lincoln Mk7 Front Brake Calipers (new)

-Titanium Front Brake Pads (new)

-Rear Brake Lines (new)

-Rear Brake Rotors (new)

-Rear Brake Calipers (new)

-Strut Tower Brace (Maximum Motorsports)

-Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates (Maximum Motorsports)

-Energy Suspension Poly Urethane Bushings (front and rear)

-Eibach Lowering Springs

-Tubular Rear Lower Control Arms (Maximum Motorsports)

-Helwig Sway Bars (front and rear)

-Kenny Brown Sub-Frame Connectors

-2 11." Dual Exhaust (hi-flow cats with Magna-flo lers)

-5 Speed Trans Conversion (Ford Motorsport "Z" series 5 Speed with approx lOK miles)

-Heavy Duty Clutch (Ford Motorsport)

-Adjustable Clutch Cable Conversion

-Pro 5.0 Shifter

-KYB Gas Shocks and Struts (front and rear)

-8.8 Posi Rear Rebuilt (Auburn Heavy Duty Posi unit, Tom's Forged Axles, Ford 3.73 gears, all bearings and races replaced with Ford OEM parts)

-Power Steering Rack Rebuilt (aluminum bushings from Maximum Motorsports)

-Prime 16x8 Wheels

-BFG 245/50/16 KDWS Radials (approx. IOK miles}

-R-134 A/C Conversion Kit (not installed yet, but also comes with New A/C lines)

-Other misc . new parts are included

All of these parts, except for the 4 wheel disc conversion, were installed within the last l SK miles. This car is emissi ons legal and passes every time.

This car has NO rust. original owner and brought it from California in 2001. It has been garage kept here as well. Not driven it in the snow or bad weather, so it doesn't get driven much . It comes with a full set of Ford factory manuals.

Needs a little clean up and the wheels are dated.  Other than that it seems alright.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #1
I think that ad is a year old or so and obsolete.
I'm not sure about that particular site...but I saw a non-CL non-eBay ad last year for this thing. As well as a CL ad in Baltimore. I think it was right about $4k too.
Eventually the CL ad didn't come back, I've checked now and again, haven't seen it since. Definitely seemed like a decent build though.
The wheels ARE dated...actually it seems that ROH ZS's have been around a little while too (my black XR7s' wheels)
Notice the newer looking cassette deck. Mine had a Clarion cassette deck with a 6-disc CD unit in the trunk.

Both mine and that one seem to be 90s builds IMO. Which to me is really neat. I was so mad when the Clarion deck stopped playing tapes, couldn't use my wire-tape-adapter anymore. Had to chuck it. I considered that such a "period-correct" thing. The comms cable is still in the car, I removed and stored the CD unit. I had actually replaced the deck with one I found on eBay. Both of them took a shiznit in the tape drive unit. Said "that's enough".

Maybe I'll find another at some point with more life left in it...

My car is a full TF top end setup and I paid 900 less...snicker snicker lol
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #2
Quote from: ZondaC12;438907
The wheels ARE dated...actually it seems that ROH ZS's have been around a little while too (my black XR7s' wheels)
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Yeah but I like the ROH ZS. They still look good. They are pretty much the one aftermarket wheel I really like on a Fox Thunderbird/Cougar.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
I can't remember what they're called/model # but American Racing made a "5 slot" wheel that's chrome or maybe its polish aluminum...the slots are small, all the way out at the rim, and they're square/trapezoidal.
Someone on here has/had them on a dark blue 87/88 bird and IMO it looked awesome.

The ZS wheels - on the other hand, I don't really like them on Fox 'stangs or anything sharp-edged. But some sharp-edged wheels​ look good on our cars :D
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane