Skip to main content
Topic: Such neglect! (Read 2681 times) previous topic - next topic

Such neglect!

In the process of doing a motor swap in my 83 Bird, pulled the intake manifold to see this mess... long time between services i imagine!

Then, i was removing the exhaust manifolds, and it snapped...

Can't fit off the shelf headers either :(
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Such neglect!

Reply #1
It looks as if someone threw pieces of slate in that lifter valley!

Why wouldn't a set of stock H.O. headers clear?  Although those might or might not be hard to come across in Australia.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Such neglect!

Reply #2
somebody decided to make the motor real quite.  I have seen sludge but not sludge that looks like coal

Such neglect!

Reply #3
Now that's a fine looking barbeque pit! Too bad it's in the lifter galley of your motor.

Guessing that the off the shelf headers won't work because of the steering shaft on the right (wrong) side?

What's the plan for the motor swap?

Such neglect!

Reply #4
Hmmm.... I wonder if that motor still ran.
How fast is fast?

Such neglect!

Reply #5
Never saw anything like that!
Mike

Such neglect!

Reply #6
Motor ran fine lol.

only swapping to go full SEFI so figured i'd go roller block at the same time.

dropping in a explorer spec engine (GT40P's, explorer manifold, crane cam)

off the shelf headers won't fit because of starter motor/steering shaft clearance.
and i *think* the engine has been moved over.
95 Falcon GLi

Such neglect!

Reply #7
there are very small low profile steering shafts out there that solve this issue.  they are telescopic and pretty neat looking.  saw them on a tv show a while back, meant to take note of it but im sure there is a supplier for pony stuff.
they are designed without the big round rag joint so to speak, pretty slim profile made to solve the header issue you are having.

there are plenty of headers out there you must have to order, but they are available and no one really has the clearance issues you are talking about either with long tubes or shorties.  You just have to suck up the shipping I guess

Such neglect!

Reply #8
I'm sure i'd be fine on the Passenger side (previously drivers side), as there is no starter motor/steering shaft in the way, although i think the engine is closer to the strut towers on that side.

Its mainly the drivers side thats now very cramped.

worst case i'll just have a crack at making some headers.
95 Falcon GLi

Such neglect!

Reply #9
I believe you can purchase a header kit with bends that allow you to create your own headers. That might be helpful in your case.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Such neglect!

Reply #10
I've ordered a set of shorty's anyway, if they fit one side, i'm half way there haha
95 Falcon GLi