Skip to main content
Topic: Not starting after drive (Read 4733 times) previous topic - next topic

Not starting after drive

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of rescuing a 1988 3.8L cougar from the dead. I have replaced suspension, brakes, brake lines, fuel pump holder, wires, plugs, rotor, distributor cap and some other minor things. Car seems to be running good.

However, after I take it on a 20-30 minute drive and then shut it off, I am intermittently unable to start it. If I wait 10-15 minutes OR try the next morning, it will start no problem. It only ever seems to intermittently not start after driving and it doesnt happen all the time. It is at the point where I do not want to shut the car off when I go out. Was hoping it would work itself out but it has been going on for a few weeks now.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Not starting after drive

Reply #1
Battery was also changed. Forgot to mention that the car will turn over fine but just not start.

Not starting after drive

Reply #2
Does it crank and not start?? Or does it not crank need more info!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Not starting after drive

Reply #3
Hi Tom - It will crank but just not start.

Not starting after drive

Reply #4
If I wait 10-15 minutes and then crank it again, it will start no problem. Runs very smooth once started.

Not starting after drive

Reply #5
Sound like tfi module to me.....
How fast is fast?

Not starting after drive

Reply #6
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=owIpVKK9KsHuoATDoYDYDA&url=http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,588.0.html&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNG82xHeqRH5DWa1m_wj3YYx4ZQdEg&sig2=-f9sP133jUFUDjjZ2a9kMQ

FOllow every step here and have it  done and fixed in half an hour
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Not starting after drive

Reply #7
TFI PIP replace them both and go from there. Good luck
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Not starting after drive

Reply #8
Tom/jay - my TFI is located near the radiator. I have read the thread on the TFI problems and it seems the TFI in that location rarely has problems? Can it still have problems?

Haystack - that link has given me a lot to work through. Thanks.

Not starting after drive

Reply #9
in 1988 ford did not put the TFI (ignition) module anywhere but directly on the distributor.

The electronic version of points is down inside the distributor.  both the TFI or the stator/pip could be the problem.

Does your side profile of your car have a slopped backwards window or is your car sorta "boxy" looking.

if your saying its an 88 but its actually an 89, then the location of the TFI makes sense.

If your car is actually an 88 then you are dealing with someone else's work to relocate the TFI.
It may or may not be done properly,, who knows.

once upon a long time ago, my ECT sensor, engine coolant temp sensor finally ended up being the reason why I was not able to start after the car got hot and it was an intermittent situation as you described.
The 1988 3.8L in "your design" was a one year deal only.. ford changed body and harness designs in 89.
your engine is not six separate injectors pulsing individually rather its 3 fire off then the other side of the motor three injectors fire off... similar to CFI setups of 87 and down 3.8L engines.  You are also an internal balance motor which is a direct swap with the 4.2L crank/rods & pistons.. just fyi

Not starting after drive

Reply #10
in my diy link below,, pull your codes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, use a paperclip if you want but codes will tell you whats been happening to the car over the last 40 warm up cycles it has experienced.

Not starting after drive

Reply #11
Quote from: jcassity;438421
in 1988 ford did not put the TFI (ignition) module anywhere but directly on the distributor.

Incorrect......  Source:  http://www.coolcats.net/help/tfi.html
I've personally seen a few mounted as shown in the picture in the link as well.

my TFI is located near the radiator. I have read the thread on the TFI problems and it seems the TFI in that location rarely has problems? Can it still have problems?
It's an electrical component, so yes.  I would imagine the failure rates on these remote mounted units is lower than the distributor mount setup though.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Not starting after drive

Reply #12
Could the ignition switch issue also cause this problem?  Another probability is the starter is tired and when it gets heat soaked it gets finicky as to whether or not it will start.  Moreover, the battery cables could also be the culprit.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Not starting after drive

Reply #13
But see he said itll crank but it wont start. So you should rule out battery cables. Heat soaked starter? Possible. But i think starters are going going gone. No real indication of when theyre about to go bad.
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Not starting after drive

Reply #14
Just start it up, run it around the neighborhood until it's warmed up, then go home. Once the problem is exhibiting itself in your garage/driveway it's easier to fix. Figure out if you have spark and/or fuel. I bet one or the other is missing. 

When I have a problem like that, I have a neon spark tester that I throw in the glove box. When it's acting up, I jump out and put it on. Then you can see if you have spark right when it's acting up.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7