Skip to main content
Topic: Wont hold a charge or start on its own.. (Read 2312 times) previous topic - next topic

Wont hold a charge or start on its own..

I have a brand new Battery that holds 14V when out of the car, and a brand new alternator too.

It just doesnt seem that the alt is doing its job.  I can jump the car, but as soon as I turn the battery charger off, the car dies. :flame:

this really has me ticked off.!  I am going to test the alt this week, but other than that what could it be?  All grounds are in tact!

I think the new alt is bad IMO.

Rick

Re: Wont hold a charge or start on its own..

Reply #1
how are your battery terminals?
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
It could easily be the voltage regulator to the altenator. Just have auto zone test it. If it tests bad you can get a new one that should have a voltage regulator. Sounds like either no alt output of a bad ground/ positive cable. I would clean the terminals and try it again.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
Are you saying with a charged up battery it won't crank?
when you jump it , what is the power source? Another battery? Heavy duty charger?

Reply #4
Quote from: Tbird232ci
how are your battery terminals?

brand new

Reply #5
Quote from: softtouch
Are you saying with a charged up battery it won't crank?
when you jump it , what is the power source? Another battery? Heavy duty charger?

I am saying the battery reads 14v until I start to crank it, then it pretty much dies..

I have heard of having the volts, but not amps....whats the story behind that?

The source of power is a heavy duty charger that has a jump start function...and even that takes a while to get it going.

Reply #6
Does the voltage go back up after you stop cranking? If so you have too much internal resistance in the battery.

If the battery is good and discharges as fast as you imply, the wires should be getting hot and something smoking.

14 volts is too high for a battery not hooked to a charger or a running alternator. 12.5 volts is normal. I don't know what to make of that. Sometimes right after you take them off a charger it takes a minute for it to settle back down to 12.5v. Maybe your meter is not real accurate.

Reply #7
Another thought.
If you are hooking the charger ground lead to the engine when you use it to crank, it may indicate the ground lead from the battery is disconnected from the engine block.

Reply #8
Quote from: softtouch
. Maybe your meter is not real accurate.

this may be the problem...

I will check some more today after work to see if it is making a charge while running.

Reply #9
internal or external voltage regulator?

if external,, id guess that might be the problem. Yet again, if the VR was bad, your engine should atleast run till the battery voltage could not produce spark to the plugs.

ill suggest you also swap out the starter solenoid as well. They are nothing more than a relay and a couple contacts.  IF corroded or over heated, it will produce the effects you have.

stupid question here but ill ask,, how hard is it to rotate the crank shaft with a breaker bar?  could it be that the engine is binding up?

Reply #10
Quote from: ponyman460
I have heard of having the volts, but not amps....whats the story behind that?

Bad or discharged battery.... End of story...

Charge it over night and then have it tested...

Reply #11
figured it out....

I though it was the alt...so I pulled it off, and took it to the parts store to be tested...it was fine!  I was thinking WTF?  so the guy says to me, did you replace the connector and harness that came with the alt?  I said no..... he told me to do that and see what happened...

well I replaced the connector and harness, and that was it for sure...reads good now, holds a charge, and starts back up immediately every time!  now the car needs to go back on the market for sale :(

Reply #12
btw, thanks for all the help!

Reply #13
i think the both conn's are being supplied with the new alt's now being sold for our cars. Advance provided mine with the alt.

Reply #14
check the water in the battery, if its low refill with distilled water only...