Skip to main content
Topic: projector headlights (Read 1112 times) previous topic - next topic

projector headlights

are they a good fit for 86 xr7 are they street legal or brighter than stock headlights. do they make low and high beams headlights. are they simple plug in screw in  or needing mod. saw on another cougar looked sharpe

projector headlights

Reply #1
Depends what you build.  If you're talking about replacing a pair of H4656 and H4651, with off the shelf aftermarket units, you're setting yourself up for not only disappointment, but likely a very good view of other drivers' high beams.  From what I can tell, none of those are proper projector lights.  They still use the normal back reflector, but simply hang a projector lens in front of the bulb with no cutoff shield, and without proper focal depth.  I thought I might just be looking at the high beam only lamp, then I realized that the high beam lamp is Hi/Lo, and the Low beam is solo in the outboard lamp, so, no.  This design is so far off from being anything usable, it's not even wrong.  You can't have a wide-open projector with no cutoff and a bi-element bulb (H4), that's just not how it works.  It's a perfect recipe for automotive assholeship.

On the other hand, you can get some H465x conversion lamps, open them and with some determined work, retrofit a Moromoto Mini H1, and have proper mini-projectors with HID, that won't blind people, all while offering the ability to have an HID high beam.  This would make the inner lamps un-needed, but you could get some yellow ones and turn them on for harsh weather lamps or something.  See here for an example.