Skip to main content
Topic: Wood Splitter Rebuild (Read 1590 times) previous topic - next topic

Wood Splitter Rebuild

For the last few years I have been threatening to replace the beam on my wood splitter. It was wearing thin and starting to bend up at the edges. I purchased the splitter used about 15 years ago and the first year used it as it was. Gave it a bit of a makeover before the second year, changed the pump and made it direct drive instead of chain drive, added a larger hydraulic tank, cylinder, and new valve.

This redo includes a heavier beam, tube brace to hold up the front of the motor, built in stand,  and a strap to help hold the hydraulic tank. I also blasted and painted it this time around, most of it anyway. My original plan for paint was Stihl orange and white, but decided it would be less noticeable when I leave it in the woods atlas green. It has a 4 cyl air cooled Wisconsin motor (30 hp) 28 gpm 2 stage pump, and a 5" bore 24" stroke cylinder. The splitting wedge is 12" tall.

Any way, I enjoyed seeing what others have posted for wood splitters/adventures in wood heating, so thought I would post up some of mine.

You can see how the motor is tipping forward, and my stand was a chunk of wood.

Etch primer

Atlas green

The bracket on top of the hydraulic tank holds a 5 gallon boat gas tank. Still need to get the high pressure and return hoses made.

This is the pile of wood it takes to get thru the winter each year. In a few weeks I will need to get started for this winter. It's about 40 feet long and the ceiling is 14'. This pic is the fall of 2011.

Takes 12 to 13 trailer loads

The old wood hauler/plow truck, 85 F250, 460, c6

Wood Splitter Rebuild

Reply #1
I wonder if it could split a PRIUS IN HALF. That would be NEAT!! That thing is a BEAST!!!! Never saw one that big. Have a great day guys.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Wood Splitter Rebuild

Reply #2
That splitter looks like a beast.......Thanks for sharing !!
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Wood Splitter Rebuild

Reply #3
Not sure about the Prius there Tom, but have only found a couple chunks of wood that it wouldn't split. They were not that big of pieces, just gnarled up knotty messes. I guess I should name it the beast, 9 out of 10 people that see it make the same comment.