Skip to main content
Topic: CFI ECU Wiring Loom (Read 2262 times) previous topic - next topic

CFI ECU Wiring Loom

So, i'm converting my 83 CFI to Proper SEFI.

I'm going to be using the ECU and wiring loom from a 92 EB Falcon (EEC-IV)

I can figure out the Falcon side, i've got all the wiring diagrams i need and have worked with them long enough to know how it all comes together.

what i don't have is a great understanding of the electrical side of the Thunderbird's EEC III.

Now add to the fact that the car itself has been converted to Right Hand Drive, it means there are a lot of things not in the factory position.
The EEC was up behind the instrument cluster for example.

I'm trying to look into the connection points between the ECU Loom, and the rest of the car.

I've found a couple, one on the left of the car, near the shock tower, where it looks like some A/C related wiring, and possibly some ignition coil connections are made along with.

One close to the ECU Connector plug, a single gray plug with 3 wires.

A single yellow wire also through with the ECU loom.

I guess i'm after anyone who knows if i've missed anything.

and if not, what the single gray plug is for. (i'm assuming ignition power as a start)

I feel asif i'm missing something, given there needs to be signals for the various warning lights on the dash, along with fuel pump trigger and other key components.

perhaps i'm over estimating the EEC III's need to be integrated?
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

CFI ECU Wiring Loom

Reply #2
I might be wrong.

It has a 32Pin Connector and the case is completely different to the EEC IV's i've seen.
95 Falcon GLi

CFI ECU Wiring Loom

Reply #3
Eec3 cars use duraspark ignition. you would have to modify or upgrade the ignition system to run eec4.

On trucks and vans here, the eec is mounted on the engine/firewall and only a few wired need hooked up to any chassis wiring. i think its mainly fuel pump relay and ignitio.n power feed to the computer.

also, if you were running quarterhorse you could reflash/disable the stock computer programming and use a more compatable eec if you needed to.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

CFI ECU Wiring Loom

Reply #4
I'll be replacing the ignition system with the swap to EEC IV.

I'll be running a J3 Type chip from a local supplier, I'll need to initially, to change the firing order.

pretty much all EEC IV cars here are HO's with MAF's.

Plan is to update all the EFI/Ignition to EEC IV on the current engine. An engine swap will be happening in the future. but the EEC IV swap it key to that working.

So the fact that there were minimal plugs interfacing sounds correct.
now to work out whats what.
95 Falcon GLi

CFI ECU Wiring Loom

Reply #5
This is the Computer.

95 Falcon GLi

CFI ECU Wiring Loom

Reply #7
83 5.0L CFI were EEC III in the States. I have to say I am surprised they shipped any to Australia. The put carbs on the cars sold in Canada.
The EEC III distributor has no TFI ignition module on it. The only wires are the plug wires and the coil wire. There is no PIP emitter in the distributor and it is not adjustable for timing. It is fixed in place.
The guy with the most EEC III knowledge I have ever seen on these forums is crossalchemist. I believe he also has good dospoogeentation.
According to his profile, he hasn't logged on since 5/25/2013. Don't know if he still checks in or not. You can try PMing him.