Skip to main content
Topic: Price To Re-Pack Front Bearings (Read 1197 times) previous topic - next topic

Price To Re-Pack Front Bearings

I ordered new ball joints and other front end parts to do at some point over the summer but everything is still good on the car to last me until then. The only thing I'm worried about is the front wheel bearings. They are grinding on sweeping highway turns and I want to have them done now so I can continue to enjoy the car.

I don't have the time or the space to do any work involving lifting the car. What do you think I can expect to pay to have the wheel bearings done at a Mavis or Meineke type place? What's a fair price to pay for labor? I already have new bearings if they need to be replaced instead of just being re-packed.

Thanks!
1986 Thunderbird 5.0
-FRPP Wires and upgraded ignition parts.
-H.O. Upper Plenum / EGR Spacer / TB

Reply #1
Sounds like you need new bearings and i personally would not pack the old ones. Replacing the bearings races and seals of course is done together. If you provide the parts something we never allow in our shop . It is 1/2 hour per side in the book labor time to change the bearings seals and pack them properly would cost you 137 Dollars in my shop including tax. This does not include parts grease  pins or any other repairs inclusive.    Have a great evening.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #2
Id let ya bring it over one afternoon and help you do it for free, of course you'd buy parts and drive 2200miles.

You need to get a bunch of car buddies or gear heads. i used to help my boss work on his mustang after work and pretty soon i was able to use a lift if i needed to. getting buddy with my works mechanics and they let me borrow tools too.

you do not want to loose a wheel bearing. i lost on while delivering pizza on the foot hills of a moutain about 50 miles from home on christmas eve on my last delivery. i hit a pothole in a 55mph zone and two blocks away was my delivery. i manged to limp it back out onto the road when it fully let go. i had to replace both bearing, two bolts for the caliper that got bent, replace brake pads and the disc on the side of a highway after waiting outside in the snow for a few hours. had to wake my dad up at 2:30am and have him load up tools and meet me down there to figure out what was all wrong. i also ended up getting home at 8 am exhausted and covered in grease freezing.

ill never forget that christmas eve. luckily parts stores were still open.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
Thanks for the info guys. It sucks being in New York when even simple automotive work is expensive. I usually do all top end, oil changes and non lifting work on my own and everything else I do with my friend who is a mechanic and has the area to lift the car. I'll stop by Mavis today and see what they quote me, if its under $150 I'll go for it, otherwise I'll lose this nice holiday weekend and probably do it next week or so with my friend.

Id let ya bring it over one afternoon and help you do it for free, of course you'd buy parts and drive 2200miles.

That would be a cool road trip, but not really worth it for bearings. Lol
1986 Thunderbird 5.0

Reply #4
They make good road trip cars ;).

I averaged 28mpg when i did my t-5 swap (compareable .68 od vs apd's .67 od) over 1300 miles when i ran it out to montana. i had over 500lbs of tools and all our luggage with me when we went too. got pulled over a few times in idaho and searched for drugs cause my bumper was draggin.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
Quote from: Haystack;435437
They make good road trip cars ;).

I averaged 28mpg when i did my t-5 swap (compareable .68 od vs apd's .67 od) over 1300 miles when i ran it out to montana. i had over 500lbs of tools and all our luggage with me when we went too. got pulled over a few times in idaho and searched for drugs cause my bumper was draggin.

I don't think I'll make it through PA without getting pulled over 5 times with a spray painted T-Bird with NY plates. Lol

Mavis said there was a little play on both sides, checked everything, retightened and it's good now. Should at least get me through to when I can do them with my friend. Only cost $32. Everyone have a good and safe holiday!!
1986 Thunderbird 5.0