Skip to main content
Topic: Always check parts?? (Read 660 times) previous topic - next topic

Always check parts??

Over the years we have used thousands of parts and we always check them for correct part number and fit.  Bellow is an example of my theory about checking parts. Check it out. Boxed incorrectly. Could mess up a weekend project or could put your DD out of commission till the correct part is obtained. My Dad taught this to me many years ago and it has merit. My dad also taught me to never throw anything away when doing a project or fixing a car till it was completely finished. Many a time my techs have trashed a fender or a part that needed clips or fasteners that they assumed would be on the new part. Example HONDA does not supply clips for there grills but FORD does. And even in the same carline they do not supply clips or bolts needed to finish the job. Having all the old parts clips and fasteners is always a good thing when repairs are done Check out these poly links boxed incorrectly. Have a good Monday guys

I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Always check parts??

Reply #1
So did you buy mustang sway bar links? Then find out theyre too short? Cuz thats what I did, then I couldnt get the nut to engage enough of the threads. Then I compare the two bolts. And ofcourse the tbird bolts were a breeze
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Always check parts??

Reply #2
I picked up the alternator for my upgrade last week.  The guy brought out the box.  I opened it.  Clearly a GM style alternator in a box marketed for an upgrade for FoMoCo stuff.  The box was sealed when he brought it up from the back too.  Second box was the correct part.

The scary thing is the fact that the older I get, the more I see of this.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Always check parts??

Reply #3
Happened to me the other day with wheel cylinders.  I didnt check them first, right box but clearly not the same part.  Had to drive back to the parts store all greasy dirty and sweaty.
Mike

Always check parts??

Reply #4
I always check parts. I only buy name brand stuff (i.e. Motorcraft) but sometimes even they screw up.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.