Skip to main content
Topic: Smog delete (Read 1985 times) previous topic - next topic

Smog delete

Hi all,
I assume someone has done a smog delete on an EFI 5.0 here. I have a dummy pulley to put in place of the thermactor (air pump). But what else can I take off?

Thanks,

Kyle
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Smog delete

Reply #1
You don't even need a delete kit.

there is a smog on the back of each head. all the 5/8" ish rubber tubes, and the metal tube that connects to the cats.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Smog delete

Reply #2
I haven't done this yet but can't you just leave the smog pump in place and short belt it?

Smog delete

Reply #3
The outside belt will rub slightly. if you trim it to be a 5 rib belt it will work fine.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Smog delete

Reply #4
okay, so pretty much everything connected to the smog pump can be removed? Theres also a small black box on the passenger side in the engine bay. I think its a carbon canister of a sort. Do I need that? And as it is, my EGR valve has its vacuum plugged. So my EGR is "off" for lack of a better word.
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Smog delete

Reply #5
Leave that black box. it keeps gas fumes from smelling up the car and making it seem like you have a gas leak.

egr, id just leave there unless your going to remove the spacer, but if you do, you'll need a new way to mount your throttle cable.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Smog delete

Reply #6
If you can short belt it what would be the point in taking it off? You'd get the same benefit from short belting it wouldn't you?
Are you looking to free up the space under the hood?

Smog delete

Reply #7
There's no point to deleteing it anyways. it gets shut off at wot and is nothing more then a free spinning pulley anyways. I've bypassed mine when i had it lock up on me and a belt was easier to get then a smog pump at 2am.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Smog delete

Reply #8
Quote from: Haystack;435226
There's no point to deleteing it anyways. it gets shut off at wot and is nothing more then a free spinning pulley anyways. I've bypassed mine when i had it lock up on me and a belt was easier to get then a smog pump at 2am.

Sorry, I'm not sure what "wot" means. I still have my pump on and it's working. Short belting the pump to pick up a little HP is something I had planned on at some point. Is there a way to make the pump just a free spinning pully while the belt is on it?

Smog delete

Reply #9
WOT is "wideopen throttle".... not to be confused with "bwahhhh!" which is the sound your car makes at wide open

And yeah, I was looking to save a few horses, shed weight, eliminate a load on the engine blah blah blah. But also, If i go to aftermarket headers/midpipe they prob wouldnt have "ports" for the smog pump to blow air into, right?

Smog delete

Reply #10
You can fabricate or buy EGR blockoff plates.  Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151307667010?lpid=82

I bought a smog pump delete kit for like $20 online somewhere...had a brand new serpentine belt so I figured that was about as cheap as buying a new belt.  In the end it really doesn't gain much as far as HP goes.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube