Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 Y Pipe (Read 3141 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 Y Pipe

Need some help here. I've got the car running great with no error codes now. Before I move on to suspension I want a nice sounding exhaust.

I'm just looking to replace the rotting aftermarket pipes and maybe dump a Flowmaster ler. Does anyone sell just the Y Pipe for these cars? They sell the cat separately or with Y Pipe only it seems. My cat is fine but the Y is close to rusting through. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I'm not looking for performance, just sound and a new system.

Also, if I decide to keep a tailpipe, where do I find that as well? Lol Seems exhaust for these cars is ignored. Will a Mark VII one work?
1986 Thunderbird 5.0
-FRPP Wires and upgraded ignition parts.
-H.O. Upper Plenum / EGR Spacer / TB

5.0 Y Pipe

Reply #1
Do they make you put your car on a dyno still down there for emissions?  Why not switch to a H pipe?  Where in Westchester?  My Grandma lives in Yorktown, Pops side grew up in Cortland Manor area.
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.

5.0 Y Pipe

Reply #2
Oh yeah, GO RANGERS!  Were headed to OT right now.
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.

5.0 Y Pipe

Reply #3
If you just want sound and still have to pass inspection, use this, but with a louder ler.  Personally, I'm running a pair of the Super Turbos in the part number shown.
(edit: the pics don't show that these are from the Walker Exhaust catalog)

Or to convert to dual exhaust and stay stock for inspection, use the 1988 exhaust, which should all fit except for needing a few minor mods to mount the right side ler and tail.  Want it louder, same advice as above.
More info on the dual exhaust mod

5.0 Y Pipe

Reply #4
Just some info if i may! Anytime you split an exhaust with a Y to make it duel outlet you loose HP. Just saying!! Have a good day guys
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

5.0 Y Pipe

Reply #6
Quote from: MechanicMatt;434540
Do they make you put your car on a dyno still down there for emissions?  Why not switch to a H pipe?  Where in Westchester?  My Grandma lives in Yorktown, Pops side grew up in Cortland Manor area.

I would rather keep the stock layout to keep costs down. I'm pretty sure I'm emissions exempt(only safety inspection) but I want to keep the Cat and don't feel like upgrading manifolds.
I'm in the Greenburgh area now but I'm originally from the Bronx.

Thanks for those diagrams, I forgot the Sport had duals so at least I can run a tailpipe with that part # if I choose to. (Not my daily car) I may be out of luck getting the Y without the Cat, and of course that part is the most corroded. Lol
1986 Thunderbird 5.0

5.0 Y Pipe

Reply #8
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;434551
They're not REAL duals, but if performance isn't important to you it's an option. On the other hand, the Mark VII had an H, and all that stuff fits.  Either way, good luck.

If you can find a pair of stock Mustang "headers" and H-pipe run those instead. Might be a cheaper option as well. Most Mustang guys give that stuff away.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

5.0 Y Pipe

Reply #9
Since I haven't been able to find the replacement Y Pipe without the Cat, I figured I'd do something to hold me off until the car is more complete and deserving of a full system. Had the tailpipe cut off and dumped from a Thrush glasspack before the axle. It has a very nice, classic muscle car sound. Not too loud but loud enough. Lol

1986 Thunderbird 5.0

5.0 Y Pipe

Reply #10
If I were to go to that much trouble I think I'd go ahead and put in an H pipe and run true dual exhaust. You could find a good used fox Mustang H pipe with cats for very little cost, Mark VII parts would be hard to find. I doubt the the cost would be much different then replacing the Y if you can find it and you'd get a slight HP gain as well as the sound you choose. This is something I've been toying with for some time and have finally found a used BBK setup that I'm picking up today. If you lived closer I'd give you my old Y pipe and Cat.