Skip to main content
Topic: Best Way To Adjust TV Cable w/o Pressure Gauge (Read 2350 times) previous topic - next topic

Best Way To Adjust TV Cable w/o Pressure Gauge

Hey guys, finally got time to bring the T-Bird to my friends to have O2's done and I found out he disconnected the TV cable to get to it. Now we adjusted it using this site: http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm and it seems good a little past mid. The only thing is the 3-2 downshift won't occur at 50, maybe 43 max.

I also saw the video everyone links on YouTube where the guy gives it max tension, then backs off a smidge and he says that's how they did it at the factory...

Any help would be appreciated.
1986 Thunderbird 5.0
-FRPP Wires and upgraded ignition parts.
-H.O. Upper Plenum / EGR Spacer / TB

Reply #1
I do it as shown in the link. However I always set it at the max tension setting. I can't compare it to the AOD in my Thunderbird as it's far from stock but the stock AOD in my Mark VII does kick down from 3-2 at 50mph. You do have the transmission in D (1-2-3) and not OD (1-2-3-4) when testing for kickdown from 3-2 correct?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Quote from: thunderjet302;433758
I do it as shown in the link. However I always set it at the max tension setting. I can't compare it to the AOD in my Thunderbird as it's far from stock but the stock AOD in my Mark VII does kick down from 3-2 at 50mph. You do have the transmission in D (1-2-3) and not OD (1-2-3-4) when testing for kickdown from 3-2 correct?

It's definitely in "D". It seems every setting in that range, Min to Max, the highest the downshift will occur is about 43mph. It does feel better at Max but I wonder why the downshift won't occur higher while in 3rd?

I don't know if it ever did. I always drive around in D and once I hit about 40-44 when coasting and no slow down up ahead, I manually shift to Overdrive.
1986 Thunderbird 5.0

Reply #3
Are you sure the cable is out all the way with the throttle wide open? With the car off remove the air tube, remove TV cable, open the throttle all the way (have someone floor it) and check two things:

1. Is the throttle blade open all the way with the pedal floored?
2. Try and stick the TV cable into the throttle body bracket. If you can pull the little piece that sticks in the throttle body past the hole is most defiantly is not at the "Max" setting.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
Quote from: thunderjet302;433761
Are you sure the cable is out all the way with the throttle wide open? With the car off remove the air tube, remove TV cable, open the throttle all the way (have someone floor it) and check two things:

1. Is the throttle blade open all the way with the pedal floored?
2. Try and stick the TV cable into the throttle body bracket. If you can pull the little piece that sticks in the throttle body past the hole is most defiantly is not at the "Max" setting.

My '86 has the "lift tab" type connector. I think you're referring to the block type from the newer cars because you're really confusing me now. Lol
1986 Thunderbird 5.0

Reply #5
throwing darts in the dark, but could your speedo be off?

Reply #6
Quote from: T-BUCKET;433790
throwing darts in the dark, but could your speedo be off?

Speedo is dead on, confirmed with GPS. I actually figured it out by finding pictures I took when I first got the car which included one of the TV cable. I lined it up based on the amount of exposed cable in the picture and the shifts are great and I have the downshift at 50mph. Thanks for the help guys, and its around the "Max" setting (maybe a little past) when using that link.
1986 Thunderbird 5.0

Reply #7
Quote from: ThunderFox;433763
My '86 has the "lift tab" type connector. I think you're referring to the block type from the newer cars because you're really confusing me now. Lol

I forgot the 86's are different. Sounds like you figured it out though.