Skip to main content
Topic: Carpet removal 88 TBird ????? (Read 1209 times) previous topic - next topic

Carpet removal 88 TBird ?????

Just curious if you guys have any advice on removing the carpet?  I have only dealt with removing the carpet from the Fox Mustangs I have owned and never a TBird/Cougar.
On the Mustang it's pretty simple as the center of the dash doesn't sit on the carpet but on this 88 Bird the dash sits right on the carpet.

Do I need to loosen the dash at the bottom retaining bolts or just carefully work it out from under the dash?

Any help is appreciated!

Reply #1
If i remember the whole center console comes out and part of the rug still goes under the dash in the center of the floor. I had to do a bit of cutting to get it out under the dash in one piece.

Reply #2
You need to remove the whole center console.  You will have to unscrew the dash cover piece that goes around the radio also.
84 TurboCoupe with 302 .010 over - 9.8 : 1 Forged Pistons - Edlebrock Goodies:  Aluminum Heads #6037, Intake #3821, 65mm TBI/EGR #3824/3827, Camshaft #3722 -  Interactive System & Technologies Mass Air with 24# Injectors - A9L - 3g Alternator - BBK shorties, Cat Converter H-pipe, Magniflow lers - World Class T5 1352-169 (1986, V8, WC, 3.15 3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.68) OEM Clutch Cable - 7.5 Trac Lock with 3.08 and slapper bars from 82 Mustang.

Reply #3
Thanks guys!  Mine doesn't have the console,just the split bench with armrest.  Got the wife on one side and I on the other and we worked it side to side as we slid it backwards. Came right out.

Reply #4
I got some carpet for mine about a year or so ago. I still haven't had the energy to clean it. It'll take a full day of vacuuming and shampoo. It is FUNKY, but, we'll see what happens. After that, Maybe I'll install it. I hope it cleans up well. Glad you got yours worked out. I had some aftermarket carpet, too thin, and it faded. I learned the hard
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
I have read somewhere that putting the carpet back is the truly hard part? I guess maybe tryng to get it under the radio stack area is kinda tricky? Havent  done this yet but its on my "to do list" ( as is much more lol)
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #6
Quote from: ISTLCRUZ;433636
I have read somewhere that putting the carpet back is the truly hard part? I guess maybe tryng to get it under the radio stack area is kinda tricky? Havent  done this yet but its on my "to do list" ( as is much more lol)

Yeah the reinstall is gonna be fun....NOT!  lol