Skip to main content
Topic: what is this? (Read 2438 times) previous topic - next topic

what is this?

XXXSaw this '88 T-bird out front (waiting to be put out in the yard) at a JY today. I'm not sure what the hell it is. had all the LX options, but had a full console w/ auto shift.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

what is this?

Reply #1
X
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

what is this?

Reply #2
Look like a typical 88 Sport.
Mike

what is this?

Reply #3
With full digital cluster, wood dash & the high series door panels?? I believe it's an LX with the Sport seats, full console and floor shift.

what is this?

Reply #4
'87 Sport. Vin should have a 61 in it. Or it's an LX, I'm not 100% certain which is which without the VIN....hard to go wrong with it's info. ;)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

what is this?

Reply #5
I believe the door jamb sticker said 12/88 which now that I think about it, wouldn't that make it an 89? I read somewhere on here, that if you ordered TC/Sport seats in an LX that they threw in the full console and floor shift or vice versa.

what is this?

Reply #6
My guess is its an LX. I think if it were a Sport it wouldn't have the chrome around the windows? Wouldn't it have the black trim like a TC ? I may be wrong though.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

what is this?

Reply #7
Quote from: White85GS;433390
I believe the door jamb sticker said 12/88 which now that I think about it, wouldn't that make it an 89? I read somewhere on here, that if you ordered TC/Sport seats in an LX that they threw in the full console and floor shift or vice versa.

It appears to be a well equipped '87 LX to me. I would bet that the the sticker actually reads 12/86.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

what is this?

Reply #8
Quote from: ISTLCRUZ;433392
My guess is its an LX. I think if it were a Sport it wouldn't have the chrome around the windows? Wouldn't it have the black trim like a TC ? I may be wrong though.

nope. LX/LS had the chrome trim and mirrors, it was the gimmick for that package - the "luxury" look. Sport/XR7 had black trim and body color mirrors/grilles, to offset the luxury and be more sport style.

...which cofuses me about this car, as those mirrors don't appear to be correct for that car at all... its hard to tell in the picture but they look like 83-86 mirrors, note the absence of the trim ring around the mirror glass...

Quote from: White85GS;433390
I read somewhere on here, that if you ordered TC/Sport seats in an LX that they threw in the full console and floor shift or vice versa.

Yes they would have to since the consolette would have no way to mount to the sport seats. As for floor shift, I don't know, some cars came with column shift and full consoles, but I think that was only four-eyes...
this one is definitely special...

then again, you have to consider, it may have been converted at some point, just as mine and many others on here... (although I still have my base seats, I just hacksawed my consolette off of them lol)

On a separate note, was that dash actually in as good of a condition as it appears to be in these photos?
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

what is this?

Reply #9
My 86 has a full console with regular seats and colum shift. it also has a full length console for some reason, and i doubt it was swapped in.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

what is this?

Reply #10
Quote from: sarjxxx;433401
nope. LX/LS had the chrome trim and mirrors, it was the gimmick for that package - the "luxury" look. Sport/XR7 had black trim and body color mirrors/grilles, to offset the luxury and be more sport style.

All '87-'88 Thunderbirds had black mirrors.

I stand by my original assessment that this is a nicely equipped '87 LX with no "special" equipement or deviations from factory.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

what is this?

Reply #11
The VIN....
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

what is this?

Reply #12
Quote from: BCA;433398
It appears to be a well equipped '87 LX to me. I would bet that the the sticker actually reads 12/86.

Yep I agree. In 87 you could get sport seats and a floor shift on the LX. 87 Sports came with base seats. It has to be an LX as no Sport had the LX/Turbo Coupe style door panels. Wood dash, floor shift, LX/Turbo Coupe door panels, and sport seats means this car can only be an 87 Thunderbird LX.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

what is this?

Reply #13
I went back today but it was in a holding area, so I couldn't go up to it again. I bet you guys are right about it being an '87, a 6 and an 8 look similar. Such a shame though, who here wouldn't want an almost fully loaded LX with sport seats, full console/floor shift?

BTW, they crushed that '88 Bostonian already :-( But since I harvested the radio out of it for my Ranger, part of it still lives on :-)