Skip to main content
Topic: Passenger Window Off Track? (Read 2434 times) previous topic - next topic

Passenger Window Off Track?

When driving on the highway today with the windows down slightly, I noticed it was rattling around more than usual. When i parked the drivers side was fine but the passenger side would catch only intermittently and I had to manually help it up.

While searching the site i see a lot of info about the clips olding the glass on the track and that this is a common problem but the '83-'86 window bottoms look different in pictures. Are the clips probably the problem on my T-Bird or am I going to see a different set-up when I get the door panel off?

Thanks.
1986 Thunderbird 5.0
-FRPP Wires and upgraded ignition parts.
-H.O. Upper Plenum / EGR Spacer / TB

Reply #1
The 83-86 have holes through the track. i have taken a bolt and stuck it through the track with a lock nut and a bit of rubber hose over the bolt so it doesn't rattle.

lube everything up well with white lithium grease, chances are that its binding somewhere. also, the motors havr plastic gears that like to strip teeth, so check that as well.

generally a bit of lube does wonders as long as the tracks are still attached.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
So it sounds like its not likely the window separating from the track? Do you happen to know or remember what size bolt will fit through the holes just in case it is that?

I remember those  plastic gears on my Mark VII's window motor, so annoying.

I guess i'll take it apart and see whats going on.

Thanks.
1986 Thunderbird 5.0

Reply #3
I don't, its been almost 10 years since i owned an 86 (not countinmy current.car)

When i did the windows in my second 86 it was probably 2003-04. It will be pretty self explanitory though i think.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
Thanks anyway. it was worth a shot asking. Lol

Im going to see what I find.
1986 Thunderbird 5.0

Reply #5
If you hear the motor running steady and a "thump-thump-thump" sound with the window kicking up a tiny bit each time, that's the bushings in the motor. If that's the case, just pull the motor, and inside the motor head there are 3 bushings that disintegrate over time. They used to sell them in the "help" section in parts stores. I am sure you can make some out something, worst case.

If the window was off the track it would bind up. If it pulled off the mounts, you'd be able to lift the glass out of the door. Sounds more like the bushings to me.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #6
Quote from: CoogarXR;433362
If you hear the motor running steady and a "thump-thump-thump" sound with the window kicking up a tiny bit each time, that's the bushings in the motor. If that's the case, just pull the motor, and inside the motor head there are 3 bushings that disintegrate over time. They used to sell them in the "help" section in parts stores. I am sure you can make some out something, worst case.

If the window was off the track it would bind up. If it pulled off the mounts, you'd be able to lift the glass out of the door. Sounds more like the bushings to me.

Bingo! I took the panel off and the glass is definitely secured to the holder with the 2 bolts. The motor runs and makes the thumping sound. If i push up/down on the assembly as I hold down the switch the window moves fine. If pressing it on it's own, it either won't move or may move a centimeter.

Now the question is, does anyone have any tips for getting the motor out and in again? I believe its riveted in there?

Thanks.
1986 Thunderbird 5.0

Reply #7
Rivets can be drilled out through the center to remove them. Most likely they are 1/8" but I can't say for sure, having never had a fox with power windows... Someone else should chime in in a bit with more info...
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #8
There should be 3 bolts that hold the motor to the regulator. Getting to the bolts can be a little tough. I will preface this by saying "this is how I do it, but it may not be right". There are 3 little dimples in the metal right above the 3 bolts to the motor. I drill those dimples out with a bit big enough for the socket. Then you can put the socket right on the bolt.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #9
I ordered the Dorman replacement gears today so hopefully I'll get it and give it a try soon. Of course its starting to get warm...Lol
1986 Thunderbird 5.0

Reply #10
I got the motor gears yesterday and put them in and the window is back in action. The old gears were in pieces. Thanks for the help guys.
1986 Thunderbird 5.0