Skip to main content
Topic: Tried a new Black plastic restorer today. Before/After Pic (Read 1874 times) previous topic - next topic

Tried a new Black plastic restorer today. Before/After Pic

This was a Meguires Product.  I did the side view mirrors today, all the trim and body moldings tomorrow.  Here is the before and after of the mirrors.
X
X

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #1
Looks nice, hope it hold up good in the rain, I would like to try it on my 2006 F150

Reply #2
I tried a similar product called "back to black" from Mothers on my Ridgeline and it worked great.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #3
Yea, it will be interesting to see how it holds up to rain and if it 'runs' and leaves a mark on the door under it. Some of the petroleum based products do that.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #4
Quote from: rodsterh;432600
Yea, it will be interesting to see how it holds up to rain and if it 'runs' and leaves a mark on the door under it. Some of the petroleum based products do that.

I tried a water test.....beaded and fell right off.  Seems to form a water barrier.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #5
Put some on my truck, so far holds up pretty good, last two washes and one hard rain while traveling.

Reply #6
Quote from: 83TB;434967
hard rain while traveling.

If it passes this test, it's decent.  If it can withstand 100+ miles of this, it's an awesome product!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #7
That was just one coat on it, its looks even better that I have applied second coat after that, wondering if the more you put on over time, the better it will hold up, only time will tell.

Reply #8
I've used petroleum based stuff before. anything from oil to vaseline to help.brittle plastics.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
The black plastic on the mirrors on my Thunderbird are glossy. So glossy in fact that you can see your reflection in them. It's really easy to make the plastic that shiny. All you have to do is polish the plastic with Meguiars PlasticX, polish it again with regular paint polish, and then coat them with wax. The stuff never wears off and I just repeat the procedure every time I wax the car. I do the same thing to the rubber/plastic moldings around the car. This procedure only works on flat plastic with no texture. If you try it on textured plastic it will look like , obviously.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
My mirrors are faded. I'll give that product a try soon.
If it looks like a duck.............walks like a duck...........quacks like a duck......................its a DUCK!