Skip to main content
Topic: How To Make A Stronger 7.5 (Read 2771 times) previous topic - next topic

How To Make A Stronger 7.5

Hi guys, I've been researching here and elsewhere and I haven't found too many favorable opinions on the 7.5 rear end. The only performance upgrades I will be doing on my '86 will be the HO Upper Plenum/TB/EGR Spacer swap and probably a "performance" ler on the stock single exhaust. I do like doing the occasional burnout or powerslide and the car may see a few trips down the 1/4 mile. Do you think the stock unit would be sufficient for this? Are there any parts that will make this unit stronger? I don't even care about a T-Lok(I may consider 3.73's in the future), I just want a reliable axle that can withstand some fun.

Thanks.
1986 Thunderbird 5.0
-FRPP Wires and upgraded ignition parts.
-H.O. Upper Plenum / EGR Spacer / TB

Reply #1
I think without slicks that 7.5 will handle just about anything you throw at it. Remember, the Mustang didn't get the 8.8 until '86 or so, and the Capri never got it at all...

Traction lock will help it live longer (one wheel peels will chew up the spider gears). There used to be a "girdle" cover available for the 7.5 which added strength, but I don't imagine it added strength to the weak spot. I am no expert on rear ends but if I were to guess I'd say the weak spot in the 7.5 would be its pinion gear and spider gears and shaft.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
To hell with trak-lok.  Get a full locker, some aftermarket axles, a rear main girdle and be done.  The locker I have in mind e is rated to 800 ft lbs of torque.  The spider gears are the weakest link.  The full locker eliminates them.  American Muscle sells a rear girdle for the 7.5 as does LPW. 

If I had to do it again I'd go 31 spline instead of sticking g with 28.  Other than that I can't complain.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3
I've never had issues with my 7.5's.  The only time I had an issue was when I rebuilt a rear end and took out the carrier and reinstalled it with new crush sleeves and bearings.  I didn't get the backlash right or something and it ate up the gears.  I've learned to just leave the carrier in place and not change the bearings unless it's needed.
84 TurboCoupe with 302 .010 over - 9.8 : 1 Forged Pistons - Edlebrock Goodies:  Aluminum Heads #6037, Intake #3821, 65mm TBI/EGR #3824/3827, Camshaft #3722 -  Interactive System & Technologies Mass Air with 24# Injectors - A9L - 3g Alternator - BBK shorties, Cat Converter H-pipe, Magniflow lers - World Class T5 1352-169 (1986, V8, WC, 3.15 3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.68) OEM Clutch Cable - 7.5 Trac Lock with 3.08 and slapper bars from 82 Mustang.

Reply #4
I haven't broken one yet. the v-6 stangs ran them forever, even the.250+ hp ones.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
Thanks guys. It sounds like for close to stock power levels I should be good, even with having some fun. From what I read online I'm expecting for the rear to grenade on a hard take off. Lol

If something happens I'll just have it rebuilt stronger. But this is a cruiser so I really don't see a need for an 8.8 upgrade if this axle is sufficient.
1986 Thunderbird 5.0

Reply #6
You can upgrade cheap by pulling a trac lok and gears out of a ranger

I did it for my buddy with a v6 stang

Reply #7
Quote from: STANG8U;432426
You can upgrade cheap by pulling a trac lok and gears out of a ranger

I did it for my buddy with a v6 stang

Would I have to upgrade the axles if doing this?
1986 Thunderbird 5.0

Reply #8
There 28 spline you can use your axles

Reply #9
All 2.3 mustangs were also 3:73 gears and traction lock, if your fine with a 7.5". That's what i plan to do later.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #10
Is limited slip the same as trac lock?  My 84 Turbocoupe has 3.45 gears and I believe limited slip.  I am going to change fluid and seals soon on it.
84 TurboCoupe with 302 .010 over - 9.8 : 1 Forged Pistons - Edlebrock Goodies:  Aluminum Heads #6037, Intake #3821, 65mm TBI/EGR #3824/3827, Camshaft #3722 -  Interactive System & Technologies Mass Air with 24# Injectors - A9L - 3g Alternator - BBK shorties, Cat Converter H-pipe, Magniflow lers - World Class T5 1352-169 (1986, V8, WC, 3.15 3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.68) OEM Clutch Cable - 7.5 Trac Lock with 3.08 and slapper bars from 82 Mustang.

Reply #11
Yes a trac lok is a limited slip

Reply #12
Each munufacturer had their own name for a limited slip rear end. Ford was Traction-Lok. Chev and GMC was Positraction. Chrysler was Sure Grip.

Reply #13
Quote from: Haystack;432464
All 2.3 mustangs were also 3:73 gears and traction lock, if your fine with a 7.5". That's what i plan to do later.

Not even close to truth.
I can vouch for my '87 2.3/T5 Stang as having an open diff. I'd have to go out to the shop to see the tag on the rear, but I can assure you and anyone else it's nowhere near 3.73. I replaced it with a 3.55 8.8 with trac lock from another Mustang. It does have 3.55 gears...they've been changed, it's stamped into both the ring and the pinion..

When I put that rear into my Sport in 2009, I noticed it was a 3.55 swapped rear when filling it with new diff fluid.

Compared to the anemic 7.5 the 3.55 8.8 makes the "WussStang" haul ass....it'll be MUCH more fun once I get my 5.0 finished and dropped in..doing some much needed shop upgrades while I have free time and a bunch of stuff cleared out.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #14
I've checked 3 or 4 and all I've seen were 3:73 with traction lock. Ill check a couple next time. i hit the yards
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.