Skip to main content
Topic: Oil won't come out (Read 1055 times) previous topic - next topic

Oil won't come out

Hey!
I have a 1986 thunderbird 5.0L v8. The 302 one.
I was supposed to change oil and filter, i opened the tank and out came only an liter or so of oil. Tried to "shoot" air into it from where you are refilling the oil and a little bit more came out. but i think there are a lot left. any tips to what i can do? Thought about a cleaning-oil, but if i fill that on, what if it doesnt come out again? heheh... tried "lifting" the car from every logical angle, but no nothing. :punchballs:

Oil won't come out

Reply #1
It has been a few years, but I think the 5.0 has a front and rear sump.  Did you remove both drain plugs?
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Oil won't come out

Reply #2
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;432136
It has been a few years, but I think the 5.0 has a front and rear sump.  Did you remove both drain plugs?

This. 2 drain plugs. Sounds like you just removed the one on the front.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Oil won't come out

Reply #3
That, or it leaks, and that's all you had left in there ;)
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Oil won't come out

Reply #4
Nah, it just ate it all!
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Oil won't come out

Reply #5
What's the dipstick say?

(find the humor here if you want/can) lol.

If there's still oil on the stick, then take out the rear plug too. ;)

If the rear plug IS out, then the pan needs to come off. A bit of work, but better than ruining the bottom end.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Oil won't come out

Reply #6
Quote from: Chuck W;432138
This. 2 drain plugs. Sounds like you just removed the one on the front.

Yup.  Removing the front one and leaving the rear in will result in less than a quart draining out.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Oil won't come out

Reply #7
Thank you so much for answers! Hehe, i only removed 1 plug, so i'll try to find the other! Now i feel a little bit stupid :P And its not leaking as the stick is almost on max and have been that for a while :D again thanks!