Skip to main content
Topic: Question for those still running a stock airbox on the 5.0 (Read 2796 times) previous topic - next topic

Question for those still running a stock airbox on the 5.0

I'm looking to tinker a bit.  Got a question. 
The stock airbox.  What's the inner and outer diameter of the tube section that connects to the air intake tube?  Anyone know?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #1
Ill get it for you tonight.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
You mean the tube on the box or that goofy short tube between the airbox and the MAF?

I'm fairly certain it's all bigger than 70mm, which is the size of the throttle body I'm running. As long as it's bigger than that it "shouldn't" be a restriction.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
Lou, the tube on the box itself.  Hoping for 3" or larger, but yes over 70mm on the inner diameter will do.

I'm planning on re-installing a stock box and opening the hole against the wall and match it with the fenderwell (remember it is just a tad smaller).  That and a nice SMOOTH tube up to the throttle body.  Something rubber preferably.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
its bigger then 3".. I used a 3" plumbing connector, and had to crimp the stock pipe to make it go in to it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5

Guess that means I gotta grab one.  Need to go hunting for a good replacement inlet tube too.

Reply #6
I measured the extra airbox I have in the garage. The inside diameter of the opening is 3.25 inches which is about 82.55mm so much bigger than 70mm. I wonder what the area of the hole in the fender for the airbox is? I'm thinking about measuring it and if the area of the hole is the same or larger than 70mm I don't think it would be worth it to make the hole bigger, at least for me. The throttle body I have is 70mm (the Explorer GT40 upper I have had a 69.5m opening so I took out the Dremel and opened it up to 70mm)  so as long as everything in front of that is bigger there should be no restriction.

As for replacing the stock rubber inlet tube between the MAF and TB it should help. I have one of those cast C&L 76mm inlet tubes. I ran it back to back with the stock tube at the track. On my 3700lb Thunderbird it was worth .5mph and .05 second in the quarter over the stock tube. So in my case it added about 5hp.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
I wonder what the area of the hole in the fender for the airbox is? I'm thinking about measuring it and if the area of the hole is the same or larger than 70mm I don't think it would be worth it to make the hole bigger

I was thinking more on the airbox itself.  A "gasket matching" of sorts.  Pretty sure the fender hole is bigger than the hole in the airbox that mates to it.

I'm running an Edelbrock 70 mm TB with a 73 mm C&L. 

Have I mentioned I hate how clean your engine bay is?  My Mustang is that clean, but she don't see the wet stuff. 
Wish my wipers and window cowl panel looked like your too.  Still getting  out from the body shop under the hood.  Rained all day....No progress.

Reply #8
Quote from: V8Demon;431847
I was thinking more on the airbox itself.  A "gasket matching" of sorts.  Pretty sure the fender hole is bigger than the hole in the airbox that mates to it.

I'm running an Edelbrock 70 mm TB with a 73 mm C&L. 

Have I mentioned I hate how clean your engine bay is?  My Mustang is that clean, but she don't see the wet stuff. 
Wish my wipers and window cowl panel looked like your too.  Still getting  out from the body shop under the hood.  Rained all day....No progress.

Actually the hole in the fender is smaller than the hole in the airbox base. To gasket match it you would need to make the fender hole bigger.

I'm actually running the exact same MAF and TB you are. Small world eh?

The only reason the engine bay is that clean is that, like your Mustang, it never sees rain. It keeps  from splashing all over the place.

Everyone here seems to complain that the engine bay of my Thunderbird is too clean. You're not the first ;).

Reply #9
Actually the hole in the fender is smaller than the hole in the airbox base.

Hmm....Cut-off wheel, touch up paint, some of that door edge protector plastic strip stuff.... Although I'm fairly certain the fender hole area is far larger than a 70 mm circle so I guess I'll see when I match them up.

Reply #10
Quote from: V8Demon;431849
Hmm....Cut-off wheel, touch up paint, some of that door edge protector plastic strip stuff.... Although I'm fairly certain the fender hole area is far larger than a 70 mm circle so I guess I'll see when I match them up.

I know the hole in the airbox is about 1/4"-1/2" bigger all the way around than the hole in the fender. I've thought about making the hole in the fender bigger to match the hole in the airbox but I don't have a cutoff wheel at home and, well, I haven't got the gumption up to do it.

Now I'm curious how big the area of the fender hole is and if it's bigger than 70mm. The area of a 70mm circle is 3848.45mm (A = pie(mmm pie) x radius^2). Can you measure the area of the hole in the fender of your Cougar? The formula for the area of an oval is Area = (Width x Length) x 0.8. So if it's the same or bigger than 3848.45mm making the hole larger "shouldn't" result in a gain in power.

FWIW a 70mm TB flows ~750cfm.

Reply #11
I think the hole in the fender is the same size as the pipe, its just oval, and the airbox opening is way bigger then that hole.
I have a pic of it but I cant seem to post a link with this version of the forum
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #12
One must take into account that it must pass through a filter barrier as well.  Interesting article on how they stack up.....

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Reply #13
I've seen a couple people that cut out the back side of the air cleaner and also a large rectangular hole in the fender well...

Reply #14
Yeah, dig this one from another thread... Note the fender hole.  Good execution actually.  The hoodliner SHOULD make a decent seal in this application.  I want a sealed box though.

I figure once I get everything here I'll do some measuring, and then some more measuring, and then some cutting.
Obviously I'll be using a stock style panel filter with this.  I think with a large enough opening there should be negligible restriction with a stock paper element filter.