Skip to main content
Topic: 86 T.bird digital speedometer too dim (Read 1147 times) previous topic - next topic

86 T.bird digital speedometer too dim

Hey you people!

I have a little bit of a problem. I bought my bird about 3 weeks ago. Kind of like a project to try to understand mechanics and learn to fix cars. So now im starting off with the speedometer. Which is too dim. Can see almost nothing. Thought it was a bulb behind it which was worn out, but no. I had someone look at it and kind of understood i have to replace the whole speedo? I did read it could be something wrong with the fuse ignition. I'm confused. Really confused, hehe. 

Anyways! Has somebody else had the same problem and know how i can fix this?

Thanks in advance! :D

Reply #1
Maybe a bad dimmer switch
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #2
Is everything else lighting up with the lights on? Make sure you dimmer thumb-wheel is all the way up, not to the point that the dome light comes on though, just before that. the 85+ digital speedometer (or everything in the cluster if you have the full digital one), are lighted LCD's, so yeah, you can still read them when light is shined onto them.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #3
With the exterior lights on, the LEDs are powered through the dimmer control.
With the exterior lights off and the ignition in RUN, the LEDs have full power.

Reply #4
The dimmer switch is at the brightest, and it works just fine. Its only the speedometer which i can barely see. =/

Reply #5
I had this issue on a 87 I had. Have you had the radio out recently? On mine when the radio was reinstalled it somehow pinched a wire or such and my speedo although it was still faintly visable couldnt adjust. I removed the radio, re-routed the wires in back and all was good.

Reply #6
Quote from: Dansbirds;431499
I had this issue on a 87 I had. Have you had the radio out recently? On mine when the radio was reinstalled it somehow pinched a wire or such and my speedo although it was still faintly visable couldnt adjust. I removed the radio, re-routed the wires in back and all was good.

I don't know if the radio've been out lately. But im gonna try what you said. Thanks!