Skip to main content
Topic: Engine number (Read 1269 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine number

Hi all, new member. Just bought an 88 3.8 Coupe 4 days ago. Flew down to collect, and drove it some 1,200 miles home from west of Melbourne to Brisbane. Performed flawlessly, and averaged 31.5 mpg, sitting on 65mph with the aircon on full power. Very pleased, and intend restoring this car to near as I can get to showroom condition. I'll then use it as my good "going out" car. Not a lot of them downunder in Australia, so it gets some comments.

Can any one tell me where on the 3.8 motor I might look for an engine number? I need to find it before our local transport dept. will allow me to make it road legal. Appreciate all answers.

Cheers

Merv
Merv K
Downunder
88 Tbird Coupe

Engine number

Reply #1
Anyone have any ideas? Without the engine number, I cannot put it on the road, as our authorities insist on seeing it to ensure we haven't shoe horned a motor into it that the car wasn't designed for. The last windscreen rego label shows Eng. No. V952603P, and that number must have been found back in 1995 when the car was imported and first registered for the road.

Appreciate any answers.

Cheers

Merv
Merv K
Downunder
88 Tbird Coupe

Engine number

Reply #2
The only numbers I know of are the ford casting number(engineering, probably start with E8, maybe E7), a date code the block was cast(usually with the casting number), and a partial of the VIN that includes the last eight digits... The partial is stamped on engine & transmission at time of vehicle build(US Fed law requirement since 1968)... Will be in a two letter/six digit format... Assuming original 1988 engine, stamp will be JH along with last six of VIN...

The number you listed doesn't fit any of the number sequence I listed, and unfortunately I don't have a clue where the partial VIN is on a 3.8... On a 5.0 it's on top of the block just behind the intake(rectangular pad, see link)... Possibly it's same on 3.8...

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q765/xxAMxx/Comet/cometrockers_zpsad9fe256.jpg

Sorry I couldn't be more help but AFAIK a engine number isn't required in any US state, as long as VIN matches title we're good to go...

Engine number

Reply #3
Thanks for the considerable effort you put into this reply. The V6 when installed is a very compact build, with very little of the block visible without removing half the ancilliary bolt on equipment. Guess a set of number stamps may be in order here if I'm to enjoy my new car.

Cheers

Merv
Merv K
Downunder
88 Tbird Coupe

Engine number

Reply #4
Quote from: mervk;431214
Thanks for the considerable effort you put into this reply. The V6 when installed is a very compact build, with very little of the block visible without removing half the ancilliary bolt on equipment. Guess a set of number stamps may be in order here if I'm to enjoy my new car.

Cheers

Merv

You're welcome...

The number with engine installed is tough to see on a 5.0 Bird but can be done... This is shot of Lincoln 5.0 when it was in my Turbo Coupe... I don't think there is a number on the Stang block my 331 is built in, could possibly indicate a replacement block or maybe crate engine...

Tom

Engine number

Reply #5
If the engine number (with engine code) is the same as the later 3.8L engines, it may be a sticker on one of the valve covers.  Here is a description from a 1995 Mustang 3.8L:
pdf of 3.8L code

If the engine has been remanufactured or rebuilt, it may have a tag or glued code stamp with warranty information on the back of one of the heads or top rear of block.

Unfortunately the main experience I've had with the 3.8L has been with head gasket replacements on my brother's windstar van. :(  I didn't need the engine code for that one.

Engine number

Reply #6
Thanks all for replying. I have just determined that the number used when registering it in 1995 was issued by the Victoria Police. Hence the leading V and trailing P. The original importer was meant to stamp this number on the block then have it reinspected for confirmation. I don't think that happened. As the number must be stamped firmly into the block, that's what I shall do. Looks like I need to remove the alternator, power steering pump, idler pully, large bracket which holds these as well as half the LH side attachments, and a few hoses. Then I just may be able to get at a clear space on the block to stamp the number. Suspect this is why the original guy took a couple short cuts.

Queensland is a little stricter, so I will need do this prior to presenting it to the transport department. Never mind, I only need do it once. Thanks for rour help.

Cheers

Merv
Merv K
Downunder
88 Tbird Coupe