Skip to main content
Topic: oh f#@k and need advice (Read 2293 times) previous topic - next topic

oh f#@k and need advice

well it happened, at least my son was not hurt. but as you can see i'm parting out the bird and looking to buy a new one. I have a line on a 94 with 100,000 miles on it ford $2400.00 anything i should look for? the pictures below (i hope) are two days apart. I will post in parts for sale. if anyone needs anything from an 87 lx wiht maroon interior let me know
Baylensman 97 XR7

Re: oh f#@k and need advice

Reply #1
Wow, WTF did he hit???
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
ouch, more like wtf hit him?

gl on finding a new one.

Reply #3
Ok. Everybody has got to STOP mangling their T-birds, ok?

Reply #4
wow that really sucks. I vote for either a wall or a big truck.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
Wow, smack a guardrail?
Glad he's okay and good luck on a replacement.

Reply #6
Glad your son's ok. Did someone tbone the Bird in the drivers fender?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
that really sucks man. I guess you shouldn't have let him drive it. Glad he's ok though. It really sucks to see that kind of distruction. oh well good luck on the next one.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #8
I'd offer to sell ya my '88 Bird or my '88 Mark.. but it would drive me nuts if pics like this popped up of one of them within a year or so.

Reply #9
As for the 1994 T-bird:  things to look out for are:
1.  3.8 V6 engine - drop it like it's hot
2.  4.6L V8 engine - they're the most reliable (by far) of the three engines for that year, but the 94 and 95's burn oil like it's going out of style, due to some poorly designed valve seals.  Not really an easy to replace item either; you just have to live with putting a quart in every 1,000 miles or so.  The 1996 and 97 4.6's don't have this problem, but they have a composite intake manifold that likes to explode every once and a while, shooting engine coolant all over the engine bay (or worse, straight into the cylinders of the engine).  Ford has a revised lower intake to take care of this (actually they have two, look for the one with an aluminum coolant passage that is seperate from the composite intake).

3.  Transmission - the 4R70W AOD-E's are pretty sturdy, but the 94 version suffers from a py torque converter.  Both the 1994 and 1995 versions potentially have a 1-2 shift acspoogeulator valve that likes to go south, resulting in harsh 1st to 2nd gear upshifts.  The 1996 and 97 transmissions are much better, and suffer from no known defects AFAIK.  All the models would benefit from an aftermarket tranny cooler though, as they like to run hot.

4.  Performance - the 1994 and 1995 models have huge restrictive intakes, and virtually nothing for an aftermarket.  The 1996 and 1997 engines are a dead ringer for a 1996-1998 Stang 4.6L, so it benefits by having a tremendous amount of aftermarket performance parts available for it.  A stock 1994-1995 4.6 will run the quarter in 16 seconds flat; 1996-97's do it in 15.7 seconds.

5.  Wheels - be aware that the 5 lug pattern on the MN-12's is of the FWD type (5 and 1/4" circle), limiting the choices available for aftermarket wheels.

If it were me, I would be looking for a 1996-1997 V8 MN-12 t-bird or cougar.  They are just so much better from the factory.  If it were REALLY my decision though, I'd pony on up to a 97-98 lincoln Mark VIII LSC, and have "Hot Rod Lincoln" playing on an endless loop.  :D

Reply #10
may have foud a deal on an 95 lsc mkVIII $3000 and medium milage 89,000. Same deal as the 95 birds or did they get the better engine early as usual
thanks
Baylensman 97 XR7

Reply #11
Might want to talk to Cougars2Go about Mark VIIIs before you buy one.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #12
Quote from: baylensman
may have foud a deal on an 95 lsc mkVIII $3000 and medium milage 89,000. Same deal as the 95 birds or did they get the better engine early as usual
thanks

Better engine.... yup all years starting in 93. :D

Check this before you buy... http://www.markviii.org/psjs_faqs/09298819.shtml Pay attention to the headlights... a real 95 LSC (late production) will have HIDs but they seem to be very rare.

After you buy... http://www.markviii.org/psjs_faqs/index.shtml and then join us on the message board.

Reply #13
MkVIII's have a 32 valve Intech 4.6L V8; basically a detuned and not- as-beefed-up 96-98 Cobra engine.  This 32 valve, DOHC wonder makes around 270-280 hp and 270 ft/lb of torque.  A 1995 SOHC 4.6 found in the T-bird and Cougar only puts out 205 hp and 270 ft/lb of torque.  Add in the fact that the mark VIII gets an aluminum driveshaft from the factory, and as far as I know it isn't speed limited at 105 mph like the Birds and Cougars were for those years.  The transmisions on the Mark VIII were a bit better than those of the Bird and Cougar for 1995:  a Mark VIII received a better converter with a higher stall.  One cool thing about the Mark VIII's is its air ride suspension.  If you don't like the ride height, you don't need to install lowering springs like a regular car, just modify the air bag pressure sensor, and it will put less pressure in the bags, thereby lowering the car for you!  It's something that can be changed back to stock for those longer jaunts on the interstate too.

I just like the 97-98 versions better b/c in those years they got HID headlamps and NEON tail lights from the factory, but a 1995 model will be pretty dependable.  The biggest drawback to any Mark VIII is that the engine "requires" premium fuel.  It has a knock sensor, and with a light foot you could probably get by running mid-grade 89.

Joe

Reply #14
Hey Baylensman, I think Ronnie (Chrome302jr) could use that passenger side molding with integrated corner light.