Skip to main content
Topic: why do i keep getting pulled over? (Read 3281 times) previous topic - next topic

why do i keep getting pulled over?

I know my 86 cougar is red, but this is absolutely ridiculous.

When I first bought the car and threw a temp tag on it, I got pulled over 4 times in three days over Halloween weekend. first time I received a warning for a cracked windshield, every time after for having a "flagged stolen" license plate.

I did have a cracked windshield and no ler, so I can understand standing out a bit.

Fast forwards to today. I have been pulled over 3 times in four days. today was for having a "flagged insurance" on my plate. car is stock, no exhaust leaks, new windshield. I don't speed, drive erratically, hug the shoulder, doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Today was my sisters b-day, so I took her to a coffee shop and drove her to work. I got onto the freeway during rush hour never exceeding 30mph in a 55 zone. I got pulled over in less then two blocks. I know the highway patrol car couldn't see my plate, and seconds before he pulled me over he cut right in back of me and opened up his laptop and then started pulling up my plate at the same time he flipped his light on.

I quickly and calmly pulled over once I cleared the intersection, turned the ignition off, rolled down my passenger window, hit my emergency flashers and put the keys on the dash. he came up and asked me for my license, but not my insurance or registration. while he walked back to the car I started pulling my insurance up on my phone (we are not required to carry insurance information in Utah, I received proof as a pdf file in an email).

The officer came back and told me I had no insurance on my car i I laughed and said that was news to me. he asked me why I didn't have proof of insurance. I explained I didn't need to carry it, and that I was pulling up my email to show him proof of insurance. the non carry law is relatively new, started less then a year ago.

He then asked if I just bought the car and asked why my front plate wasn't mounted. I explained I bought the car in October and just registered it earlier this month (Feb 7th) and hadn't gotten around to mounting it yet, but that it was legally displayed in my front window.

He told me to signal him back when I found my insurance info. about 30 seconds later he came back and asked me who my insurance is through. I answered geico, and he said oh, good, we don't have to tow the car then.

He then informed me that I am insured, but my car isn't. the plates on my tbird expired end of January, and before I even drove my cougar, I traded insurance over and then registered the car (proof of insurance is required when licensing a car). which is a crock. if you get pulled over without insurance, its a maditory tow, and $400 fine first offense, $800 second offense with 90 days jail, $1200 and 180 days jail third offense. If you pull insurance off of your car, your plate is automatically suspended, as is your drivers license if you don't have insurance on another car.

Why have I been pulled over 7 out of the last 12 times i have driven my car? I have one ticket from 2009 for 29 in a 25, and nothing else on my record. I have gone years without being pulled over in my tbird, and I drove it without a ler for nearly two years.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #1
Quote from: Haystack;429792
I know my 86 cougar is red, but this is absolutely ridiculous.

When I first bought the car and threw a temp tag on it, I got pulled over 4 times in three days over Halloween weekend. first time I received a warning for a cracked windshield, every time after for having a "flagged stolen" license plate.

I did have a cracked windshield and no ler, so I can understand standing out a bit.

Fast forwards to today. I have been pulled over 3 times in four days. today was for having a "flagged insurance" on my plate. car is stock, no exhaust leaks, new windshield. I don't speed, drive erratically, hug the shoulder, doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Today was my sisters b-day, so I took her to a coffee shop and drove her to work. I got onto the freeway during rush hour never exceeding 30mph in a 55 zone. I got pulled over in less then two blocks. I know the highway patrol car couldn't see my plate, and seconds before he pulled me over he cut right in back of me and opened up his laptop and then started pulling up my plate at the same time he flipped his light on.

I quickly and calmly pulled over once I cleared the intersection, turned the ignition off, rolled down my passenger window, hit my emergency flashers and put the keys on the dash. he came up and asked me for my license, but not my insurance or registration. while he walked back to the car I started pulling my insurance up on my phone (we are not required to carry insurance information in Utah, I received proof as a pdf file in an email).

The officer came back and told me I had no insurance on my car i I laughed and said that was news to me. he asked me why I didn't have proof of insurance. I explained I didn't need to carry it, and that I was pulling up my email to show him proof of insurance. the non carry law is relatively new, started less then a year ago.

He then asked if I just bought the car and asked why my front plate wasn't mounted. I explained I bought the car in October and just registered it earlier this month (Feb 7th) and hadn't gotten around to mounting it yet, but that it was legally displayed in my front window.

He told me to signal him back when I found my insurance info. about 30 seconds later he came back and asked me who my insurance is through. I answered geico, and he said oh, good, we don't have to tow the car then.

He then informed me that I am insured, but my car isn't. the plates on my tbird expired end of January, and before I even drove my cougar, I traded insurance over and then registered the car (proof of insurance is required when licensing a car). which is a crock. if you get pulled over without insurance, its a maditory tow, and $400 fine first offense, $800 second offense with 90 days jail, $1200 and 180 days jail third offense. If you pull insurance off of your car, your plate is automatically suspended, as is your drivers license if you don't have insurance on another car.

Why have I been pulled over 7 out of the last 12 times i have driven my car? I have one ticket from 2009 for 29 in a 25, and nothing else on my record. I have gone years without being pulled over in my tbird, and I drove it without a ler for nearly two years.

Im am sorry for the hassles you have had.  One possible explanation, could be that most people don't see what we see in these cars, so to a cop, they just see an old car, probably driven by a a down and out guy with personal problems and a good target for writing up loads of summonses. This is a very sore topic for me personally.  I know a few police officers, one is a good friend on this very forum.  My older brother is a Federal Agent with the DEA.  So i am kind of close to the issue.  My PERSONAL experience with cops, is that 90% of them that i have interacted with on the job, act professionally and with courtesy.  The douche bag factor on the other 10% is off the charts.  There are so many abuses of our rights and personal freedoms that happen daily from law enforcement its appalling.  I do believe that most of the occurrences of misconduct are due to improper training or interpretation of the law, and not due to intentionally and flagrantly trying to impede our movement and rights to travel freely.    I personally have been pulled over in various different cars at least 20 times in the last few years.  19 out of 20 i was probably speeding legitimately, and they were justified in stopping me.  I have not received a moving violation since 1989.  I follow a very simple protocol when i get pulled over. 
1. I pull over as instantly as humanly and safely as possible
2. Hazards on, windows down, engine off, keys on dash, hands on steering wheel.
3. Above actions usually results in a "who do you know in law enforcement" conversation before i even hand them a single dospoogeent.
4. Obvious question from cop: "do you know why i stopped you today"?
5. My less obvious, but super witty and respectful reply: "i am not sure, but i am sure you must have a very good reason"  This just did 2 things, it avoided me incriminating myself for something i may or may not have been observed doing, and secondly, answered his question with respect for his job.  Most people would say i have no idea why you stopped me, knowing full well why they were stopped.  This only incites them and nothing good is going to happen for you after this point.
6.If they tell you that you were speeding x number of miles over the limit, don't argue, just tell them you are tired, been driving all day, and were just trying to get home.  They will respect your honesty and the fact that they are not retarded and the radar gear must be malfunctioning.  If the 20 people before you all argued and gave the cop a hard time about the speed they were traveling, and you happen to be the one honest person who does not insult their intelligence, they will just be so happy that you validated their job for them, you will just get a warning.
7.Once the vibe is cool, and they don't feel threatened by you, its easy to talk with them, so if you have a PBA card or know someone on the job, now is a very good time to let them know that, before they go back to the car to run your stuff and come back with a written ticket. 
This is no guarantee of getting away with things, but for me personally it has worked very well.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #2
Post a pic of the car.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
I recently got pulled over for doing 42 in a 30, but the 30 quickly changes to 45 so I was just assuming I could build up speed and not be bothered. I think they were just being nosey since I have CT plates and live in NY state... I also thought maybe it was because of my exhaust, idk. I only got a warning to obey the speed limit.

Reply #4

from the day I brought it home, looks the same minus windshield is fixed and I have 235/60's up front and 275/60's out back on some 10 holes. tires are large, but fit the car well and don't stand out much in my opinion. ill get some new pictures in the morning.

David, I think your spot on. I don't personally know many police officers, but I respect them greatly and do everything I can to make things easy on them. in my younger days, I was always speeding and had a bad attitude. I've learned greatly since then. I am always honest when I get pulled over. my last ticket a speed limit sign was knocked over in a 30 down to 25 zone. I did however miss a second 25 mph sign that was still standing. I told the officer I though I was doing 30mph, which I believed to be the speed limit.

Honestly does go a long way. I was carpooling 50 miles away with 3 other people. one guy skipped his alarm and we turned around to pick him up, making us all about 20 minutes behind. I got pulled over speeding. he asked me how fast I was moving, and I said I don't know, my speedometer is off, but I had it maxxed at 85, and I figure I was doing at least 80 in a 65 zone (a few hundred yards before a 75mph sign). I told him I though the 75mph sign was already there and I mis judged it. I was let off with a warning, this was in 2008.

However, like you said, nobody complains about the good cop doing a good job, and the 10% or so that make them all look bad do pop up a lot more.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #5
Quote from: Haystack;429804

from the day I brought it home, looks the same minus windshield is fixed and I have 235/60's up front and 275/60's out back on some 10 holes. tires are large, but fit the car well and don't stand out much in my opinion. ill get some new pictures in the morning.

David, I think your spot on. I don't personally know many police officers, but I respect them greatly and do everything I can to make things easy on them. in my younger days, I was always speeding and had a bad attitude. I've learned greatly since then. I am always honest when I get pulled over. my last ticket a speed limit sign was knocked over in a 30 down to 25 zone. I did however miss a second 25 mph sign that was still standing. I told the officer I though I was doing 30mph, which I believed to be the speed limit.

Honestly does go a long way. I was carpooling 50 miles away with 3 other people. one guy skipped his alarm and we turned around to pick him up, making us all about 20 minutes behind. I got pulled over speeding. he asked me how fast I was moving, and I said I don't know, my speedometer is off, but I had it maxxed at 85, and I figure I was doing at least 80 in a 65 zone (a few hundred yards before a 75mph sign). I told him I though the 75mph sign was already there and I mis judged it. I was let off with a warning, this was in 2008.

However, like you said, nobody complains about the good cop doing a good job, and the 10% or so that make them all look bad do pop up a lot more.

The greater issue in my opinion, and forgive me for going slightly off topic, is that too many ordinary people are totally ignorant of their rights, and allow their civil liberty to be trampled by law enforcement in the name of letting them do their job.  Checkpoints are a very big part of this.  We live in America, and not puppies Germany or Soviet Russia.  You should not have to submit to checkpoints, and have to prove your not guilty of anything, or provide your papers in order to continue free travel on the road.  Often the probable cause to pull someone over is flimsy at best, and its borderline thuggery.  There are tons of examples of this kind of behavior on youtube.  Its about power/control, and they just want you to fall in line like sheep. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEjmfKJvMP4

Reply #6
Just because the plate is displayed in the front window does not necessarily mean it's legally displayed.  Many states have minimum and maximum height requirements from the ground and that it must be physically mounted.  I'll look into it more tomorrow.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #7
Law does say securely mounted. My front plate bracket is mounted upside down and the holes were drilled out to ridiculously large holes. I need to get new large bolts, but it requires a hardware store trip.

The front plate law wasn't until some time in the mid 90's. its actually quite rare for these cars to have a bracket or previously had holes up front before. everytime I bought a car and it didn't, I just through it in the front window and have never been bothered about it. I was asked once why it wasn't mounted, and I said it didn't have one to begin with, so I didn't, and that was that. I've never been bothered before when I renewed registration, and they check off the plates as ok, but shops are lazy a lot. I also didn't get pulled over for a front plate, and I doubt the cop could have seen it since I was infront of him before he could see me.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #8
Quote from: Haystack;429808
Law does say securely mounted. My front plate bracket is mounted upside down and the holes were drilled out to ridiculously large holes. I need to get new large bolts, but it requires a hardware store trip.

The front plate law wasn't until some time in the mid 90's. its actually quite rare for these cars to have a bracket or previously had holes up front before. everytime I bought a car and it didn't, I just through it in the front window and have never been bothered about it. I was asked once why it wasn't mounted, and I said it didn't have one to begin with, so I didn't, and that was that. I've never been bothered before when I renewed registration, and they check off the plates as ok, but shops are lazy a lot. I also didn't get pulled over for a front plate, and I doubt the cop could have seen it since I was infront of him before he could see me.

Even if they did not see the plate off the front bumper, once they have you pulled over, and see it on the dash, they can claim that was the probable cause for the stop, whether it was the reason or not.

Reply #9
Yeah, my buddy had a convertible that had no place to mount the front plate. he went in and fought the ticket and won. he looked up when a front plate was required and when his car was made and argued that his car predated the law. I'm pretty sure there is a federal law that requires all cars to have a place to mount that predates the state law, but I don't actually know.

Its really not weird to stick your plate in your front window and lots of people just throw them away and never get bugged about it.

In my opinion, you should at least get a written warning if you get pulled over for it. I was just getting profiled. One of the first things the cop asked is if I he could look in the car. I laughed and said what are you looking for?
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #10
Quote from: Haystack;429792

Because they can and we (as a nation/culture) vote for it.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #11
Quote from: Cougars 2 go;429822
Because they can and we (as a nation/culture) vote for it.

+1 we are a nation of sheep.

Reply #12
I can totally relate to this. If I drive any fox body that isn't in show condition I get harassed non-stop. When I had my rusty tan cougar (in my avatar) with primer all over it, I got pulled over probably once every few weeks. Didn't help that I got off work at 2am, which is when all the bars close. So the cops just see a beat up old car on the road at bar-closing time, and think easy ticket. When I had my beat-up black 83, I got pulled over twice in 10 minutes for dark tint (I got pulled over by a sheriff, let go with a warning, I turned onto the highway, then got pulled over by the highway patrol...). I got pulled over 7 times that week alone for my tint. I get pulled over probably more than anybody in town for the dumbest .

It's everywhere though. I moved to a new town (I've been here 3 years now), and between my wife and I, we've probably been pulled over 10-15 times just since we've moved. For the most petty things. I had another thread on here griping about it, after I got stopped at the end of my own driveway for the 3rd time...

Now, when I take my XR-7 out, I never get pulled over. I think because it's nice looking. When I had my red one in my sig, I had it for 7 years and never got pulled over once. I drove a Lincoln Mark VIII that was nice, never got pulled over. Funny thing is, the lincoln and my XR-7 have never had a front plate (which is a terrible offence around here). It's all about catching the cops' eye and profiling.

Not to say your car is bad looking, I would totally drive it. But around here, I would expect constant harassment. Come to think about it, I haven't been pulled over for a few months, it's getting to be about that time.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #13
Quote from: V8Demon;429807
Just because the plate is displayed in the front window does not necessarily mean it's legally displayed.  Many states have minimum and maximum height requirements from the ground and that it must be physically mounted.  I'll look into it more tomorrow.
'Round here it has to be physically mounted in the plate holder, and it has to be lit up. Plate in the back window and/or burned out plate lights are grounds for a stop. So is an obscured plate (including tinted covers). I once got pulled over in the middle of a blizzard because my plate was covered in snow. The cop was just looking for a reason to pull me over (driving a nice car in a seedy neighbourhood) and that was his excuse.

That's for back plates though - we don't have front plates.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #14
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;429877
'Round here it has to be physically mounted in the plate holder, and it has to be lit up. Plate in the back window and/or burned out plate lights are grounds for a stop. So is an obscured plate (including tinted covers).

Same in NY.  The way the rules read for a vehicle inspection state that vehicles manufactured in or after 1986 require the high mount 3rd brake light.  NYS VTL makes absolutely no mention of this light.  If it burns out you cannot receive a summons for it.  If you do it's because the person who gave it to you was not aware of this (they'll just right the standard brake light out section).

Being that we have 3 rear facing tail lamps per side, one could conceivably have up to 4 bulbs out (2 per side), the high mount brake light out, one plate lamp of the 2 out, and yet STILL not be in violation of the equipment section of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic law.  I would not recommend ever letting your lights get to this point though as it would raise suspicion/ awareness levels and if you were to be involved in a collision and the other motorist took note of these things, it could be used against you in civil proceedings.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!