Skip to main content
Topic: Interesting side bit (Read 2150 times) previous topic - next topic

Interesting side bit

Changing out the fan and fan clutch in the Cat.

Factory fan is made by a company called Usui.  Apperently they are headquartered in puppiesan and developed the world's first plastic made fan for automobile engine cooling and has been manufacturing the Plastic Cooling Fan since then.

http://www.usui.co.jp/en/products/fan/index.html
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Interesting side bit

Reply #1
Never know where the next important/big invention will come from.
Just grabbed a $30 stock Mustang fan from ebay. Will either splurge for an SSP clutch or try and just get a heavy duty A/C "reverse rotation" one from rockauto for less than half the price and just put that in the red cat, then take the SSP clutch I got awhile back for only $100 out of the red cat, and put THAT in the black car. Black one needs a lot more cooling capacity for long burnouts, the red one would do fine just having the better fan and a properly working clutch I think.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Interesting side bit

Reply #2
Performance Parts Inc. sells the SSP fan clutches on Ebay.  They are less than what they have them listed for on their site.  I saved about $30.  I have pictues on my phone of the stock stuff next to the new stuff.  The stock clutch is wanting in comparison.....
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Interesting side bit

Reply #3
I just saved the info...it'll come in handy when I get ready to put the engine into the 4 eyed notch.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Interesting side bit

Reply #4
Quote from: V8Demon;429571
Performance Parts Inc. sells the SSP fan clutches on Ebay.  They are less than what they have them listed for on their site.  I saved about $30.  I have pictues on my phone of the stock stuff next to the new stuff.  The stock clutch is wanting in comparison.....

The SSP fan clutch is a bit more beefy than the stock one. Along with a 9 blade Mustang fan you should notice a difference.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Interesting side bit

Reply #5
I have one in the red car with its stock fan and the digi-dash never goes above 3 bars in the summer. Opening the hood and revving it blows me away (literally!). That's some AIR FLOW. But I just found out last night the black car has a NON thermal clutch (where's Homer Simpson when you need him?) so anything will be an improvement.

I'm pissed, shoulda bought one of the clutches when I first saw he listed 'em on ebay a month ago. They were $99 as you said, now they're $139. I'll wait, hopefully he'll crack and come back down lol
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Interesting side bit

Reply #6
Wow, he keeps inching up on that price!

Pictures as stated:

X
X
X

Take note of the center hub diameter difference on the fan assemblies themselves.  The stocker has a center section about 5/8" larger.  The center surround was starting to show cracks so it was time to change it anyway.  I still can't believe the clutch was leaking.  It took me a good bit of time, elbow grease, and shop rags to get the shroud clean.

Interesting side bit

Reply #7
The new clutch and fan should help quite a bit in the summer heat. You'll notice it most with the A/C on in stop and go traffic.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Interesting side bit

Reply #8
A/C?  What is this sorcery you speak of?  Lol.  I ripped that out abou 10 years ago.

Interesting side bit

Reply #9
Quote from: V8Demon;429714
A/C?  What is this sorcery you speak of?  Lol.  I ripped that out abou 10 years ago.

I didn't. Mine still works so I don't roast driving around in the summer ;).

Interesting side bit

Reply #10
You'll never hear me bitch about the heat  ;)

Interesting side bit

Reply #11
I don't complain I just ride around in air conditioned comfort ;).

I live where it gets cold in the winter. I never complain about summer.

Interesting side bit

Reply #12
I never cared for ac until one day I had my two and four year old boys in the car and got stuck in a rush hour accident for about two hours. it was 110° that day. I work outside, so I don't mind the heat, but my two boys were miserable. luckily I had my lunch box with iced bottles of water, or I might have had to leave the car on the side of the road and take off with them on foot.

I still consider ac a needless luxury.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com