Skip to main content
Topic: Steering Wheel Slip Rings (Read 1479 times) previous topic - next topic

Steering Wheel Slip Rings

Whenever I turn my wheel it makes this annoying squeeking sound.  Is there any kind of electrically conductive grease or silicon or something that I could put on the rings to make it stop?  The rings appear to be in decent shape.  They're not great but nobody's are anymore.  Thanks.
Foxless :(

Re: Steering Wheel Slip Rings

Reply #1
You can get a small packet of di-electric grease at most auto parts stores.
They're usually $.99 and on a rack next to the register.
Don't apply too much; it goes a long way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
And check the plastic body surrounding the slip rings - if it is severely cracked it may come apart and cause all sorts of silliness, as my mother discovered much to her dismay when she borrowed my car one time and the horn started going off by itself. I ended up removing 'em altogether because I couldn't find new ones and now have no horn or cruise. I've got a custom wheel to go in, but I need to relocate the cruise buttons to the dash. Given my normal speed for getting projects done this one has an estimated completion date of July 27, 2007. That is, if the feasibility study and environmental assessment goes OK and I can get the necessary permits :hick:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
Ive got 2 extra slip rings just in case.  They arent the best but if one breaks theres always 2 more.  My cruise doesnt work anyway but I have to have a horn to pass inspection in Virginia.  I know all about the normal speed for projects.  Thats me too.  Ive had a set of springs and swaybars for over a year now and still havent put them on.  :giggle:
Foxless :(