Skip to main content
Topic: Huge scare about 45 minutes ago....... (Read 8699 times) previous topic - next topic

Huge scare about 45 minutes ago.......

Reply #30
Vinny who makes those wheels. The hub separated and that is ODD at best. Also do you make it a habit of torquing your lug nuts??? We torque every lug nut that comes in to the shop if we remove the wheels for any reason. AND NEVER USE ANY LUBRICANTS ON LUGS< > Also make sure you have enough threads showing past the nut. Rule of thumb is app 3-4 threads. Basically it is not uncommon for 4 lug ford setups to loosen up. We actually ran in to this when replacing rear rotors that were not COMPOSITE. Aftermarket rear rotors are not composite in many instances and the s are thicker which spaces out the wheels and reduces the thread count. That is why a 5 lug conversion in my view is a mandatory UP-GRADE. Thank God you are ok and can look back on this!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #31
I've found that with alloy wheels, you always have to go back and retorque the nuts a couple of times.

I put a new tire on a truck when I first started driving 20 years ago...torqued the nuts, next morning, headed to school. Pulled into the parking lot, and upon making a hard right into my spot, heard a pop, pop, pop, and the front end lurched over. The  wheel came off.
4 busted lugs, and the other 2 bent. Wheel was at a crazy angle.  (6 lug Jeep pattern)

And that was after a 5 mile trip. I DID torque the lug nuts that day...ever since then, I've been almost fanatical about my lug nuts.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #32
302 is correct for some reason those 4 lug alloy wheels loosen up. We do go through this and we have a torque sheet for every car we remove the wheels from. We sometimes find them loose and we can not explain why. I think the alloy sinks in and the lug nuts loosen up. A good torque stick along with a final torque wrench tightening is your safest option!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #33
Quote from: TOM Renzo;429353
302 is correct for some reason those 4 lug alloy wheels loosen up. We do go through this and we have a torque sheet for every car we remove the wheels from. We sometimes find them loose and we can not explain why. I think the alloy sinks in and the lug nuts loosen up. A good torque stick along with a final torque wrench tightening is your safest option!!!

I thought it may have bee the expansion rate of aluminum vs. steel and iron...but as long as well agree and know that alloy wheels DO tend to come loose sometimes and are mindful of occasionally checking a lug nut here and there... ;)

How ya been Tom? Those Porsches do all right in the snow back east? LOL
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #34
While were at it does anyone know the torque spec?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #35
I have no idea.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #36
I just looked it up....100 ft lbs.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7611589_ford-wheel-torque-specs.html
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #37
I've honestly never used a torque wrench and haven't had one come loose, except once after leaving a tire shop, they didn't tighten them down. ever since them I pull my tire iron out in front of any tire shop that touches my car.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #38
I have never used one on my tires either. I also have never had a wheel become loose. I have a new set of locking lugs coming along with the other necessary pieces to put the Sport back to fighting shape.....well, almost fighting shape. Once the new trans is in and the aluminum heads, THEN, fighting shape.

Reply #39
I keep a cheapo in the trunk with the proper size socket.....when in doubt I use it....more as a piece of mind....cheap insurance.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/80580/10002/-1
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #40
After you've used a torque wrench enough times, you can tell what 100 feet/pounds feels like without it...ALWAYS carry a tire tool...and give 'em a quick check now and again. Just like a fire extinguisher, mastercard, and a spare tire....never leave home without it.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #41
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;429362
I thought it may have bee the expansion rate of aluminum vs. steel and iron...but as long as well agree and know that alloy wheels DO tend to come loose sometimes and are mindful of occasionally checking a lug nut here and there... ;)

How ya been Tom? Those Porsches do all right in the snow back east? LOL

I think that is a valid point and well taken. We have been seeing wheels with inserts lately in the alloy wheels. I guess the older wheels do have a tendency of having temperature issues between metals. Best bet is a torque wrench. You would be very surprised as to how loose those lugs get. Either way i bought a knock around Torque wrench for wheel tightening and that is dedicated to only be used for lugs. The Porsche guys normally park them in the winter. As far as me i am healing very fast. Faster than i would have thought. If i am a little Grumpy please excuse it as it has only been 4 weeks since my surgery. But thank yopu for asking 302 that is well appreciated and i thank you kindly for asking. Thanks very much TOM!!

Reply #42
Quote from: QUICKSHIFT;429390
I keep a cheapo in the trunk with the proper size socket.....when in doubt I use it....more as a piece of mind....cheap insurance.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/80580/10002/-1

There you go PERFECT!!!!

Reply #43
Years ago you could torque them too tight and possibly warp the rotor.  Not sure if that applies today but I always torque mine with a torque wrench.

Reply #44
Wow, just seeing this, glad you are OK without any car damage.

Ive never had a problem like that.  Im suspecting someone didnt torque them right, or they were loosened by someone. 

I would have thought there should have been some vibration you could feel prior.  I wonder if the wheel failed and separated first??
Mike