Skip to main content
Topic: My newest Addition (Read 1843 times) previous topic - next topic

My newest Addition

I don't think I ever posted about this car.  I bought it a few months ago for a price I couldn't refuse!  It's a '66 Mustang.  Pretty basic one - 200ci Inline 6, C4.  It's ain't the prettiest '66 out there - far from it in fact, but it runs great and drives down the road, and it's structurally sound.  Most of the work it needs is cosmetic.

The PO owned it for the last 25 years at least.  It floated around in his family.  Well apparently it started having some running issues.  I won't get into everything that happened, but basically what I was told when I bought it was it had the wrong length pushrods in it.  The PO took it to two, TWO different mechanics up in Baltimore who "couldn't fix it" and subsequently gave up on it and decided to sell it.

It did run like  when I took delivery of it.  Had no power whatsoever... like having to get a running start at a hill kind of no power.  Well I popped off the valve cover and immediately noticed the adjustable rockers.  I start fiddling with 'em and they are waaay out of adjustment so.. I adjusted them, and now it runs like a champ!  Man was the PO cross when he found out what the problem really was and especially how easy the repair was!  I was happy, though.  I love freeeeee fixes!

Anyways - some photos:

Like I said - it needs some work, but after all was said and done, I only paid a measly $100 for it and didn't even have to pay to have it towed down to my place in VA!

Here's a little video I took right after I fixed the valve lash problem.  I thought it was neat to watch the inner workings while it was running.
[video=youtube;-VdWeJ3-rII]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VdWeJ3-rII[/video]
Brian Leavitt
86 TC 5-Speed -- MS2x w/COP | 83lb. Injectors| T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 .63AR | Full 3" Exhaust - No Cat | Motorsport FMIC | Ranger Roller |
------------------------Ported E6 | Walbro 255HP | Kirban | Pierburg EBCV @ 20psi | BOV | 120-amp 3G | K&N Cone | 8.8" 3.55 rear |
87 TC 5-Speed -- Cone Filter | Bypassed BCS | Stock Daily Driver
66 Mustang -- Pertronix Ignition Upgrade | Slow-Mobile

My newest Addition

Reply #1
Whoa sorry about the huge photos - I thought they would be resized by the board...
Brian Leavitt
86 TC 5-Speed -- MS2x w/COP | 83lb. Injectors| T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 .63AR | Full 3" Exhaust - No Cat | Motorsport FMIC | Ranger Roller |
------------------------Ported E6 | Walbro 255HP | Kirban | Pierburg EBCV @ 20psi | BOV | 120-amp 3G | K&N Cone | 8.8" 3.55 rear |

My newest Addition

Reply #2
Looks nice man. great to have you hanging around again.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

My newest Addition

Reply #3
I'm jealous that's a score for $100 ...... Congrats

My newest Addition

Reply #4
Very cool!
Hell of a good price. My first car was a 68 with a baddass 200 six, lol...
There still is performance parts for these engines,

http://www.cliffordperformance.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CP&Category_Code=F200

some guys even turbo them...

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/engine/mufp_0711_turbo_charged_six_cylinder_mustang/
Have fun with it
1985 Turbo Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport
1996 F150

My newest Addition

Reply #5
Wow, I thought the days of $100 cars were long gone. Heck, the previous owner could have got $300+ at the junk yard, hehe.

I'll give you $200 for it right now ;)
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

My newest Addition

Reply #6
That's an awesome deal/find. Good job on figuring out the running issue. There is more than $100 in good parts on that car. Cracks me up the owner would part with it for that.

My newest Addition

Reply #7
Wow! What a deal. I would have bought it for that much even if I wasn't looking for one. I agree with CoogarXR, I thought the days of $100 cars were long gone.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 T-Bird V6 C5
91 F-150 5.0L 5spd
93 Mustang LX 351C C4
2013 Honda CRV AWD

My newest Addition

Reply #8
You probalbly couldint touch that car for under 2-3k around me

My newest Addition

Reply #9
I wasn't looking for a car at all.  I already have the TC, the '50 Chebby, and my wife's POS bug (which broke down again today).  This one just fell in my lap.  The only problem with racking up cars here is Virginia's idiotic property taxes on them, which I have to pay every year.  It has/has a few issues, but nothing expensive.  I've been learning a lot about it in the past few months.  Some of it good, some of it confusing.  The previous owner had replaced the original Autolite 1100 carb with a Holley 1940, but the holley is is set up for a single vacuum distributor which is wrong for a '66.  Speaking of the distributor, it has a Pertronix electronic ignition conversion which is nice.  I used a gift card and ordered a single vacuum distributor for a '68 from Advance Auto Parts.  I'm going to pick that up tomorrow.  Then the Pertronix kit will be swapped over, the carb will be rebuilt, and that issue will be solved.

One other issue it had when I bought it was the flexplate was broken in several places.  Apparently the PO either didn't notice or didn't care because he was obviously driving it that way for quite a while.  Here's what I found when I removed the transmission:

Notice it's broken every place it bolts to the torque converter?  I don't know how it got down the road this way, but it did - noisy as hell, though.  Anyways - that was an easy and cheap repair.

Since then it's been running really well.  I take it out every weekend for a cruise.  Well... I took it out every weekend.  Last time I took it out the brakes went out.  That wasn't so fun since I was going over 50mph at the time and needed to make a turn.  I didn't crash it, and was able to drive it the rest of the way home in 1st gear.  Tracked the problem to the master cylinder.  Fortunately it's another cheap repair.  I ordered a new MC for like $35, and took this as an opportunity to upgrade to a dual bowl MC.  It currently has a single bowl master cylinder, so it'll be safer after I get the new one put on.  Most of the rest of the braking system had been replaced before I bought it.

The only other running issue it has is the idle doesn't want to drop down when it's real cold outside.  I replaced the heat tube to the carb and that helped to some degree, but if it's below 40 degrees outside the idle will never drop down from the cold idle.  I'm hoping that the carb rebuild will fix that issue.

Eventually it's going to need MORE POWER, but for now I'm happy with it.
Brian Leavitt

My newest Addition

Reply #10
Nice score. I'm thinking the next car I get will be a classic like this. I hate the idea that parts for our cars will be almost non-existent in the future. First gen mustangs will be around forever!
home ported E7's, HO intake, 93 Tbird cam, 65mm tb, Shorties, dynomax lers, TC 3.73 rear, Mach 1 springs, Bauman shiftkit, epoxy mod, SD, 3G alt, black magic fan

My newest Addition

Reply #11
Quote from: Crash225;428983
First gen mustangs will be around forever!
Yeah it's great being able to actually acquire new parts for one of my cars for a change!

I have been working on the car again.  I rebuilt/cleaned the carburetor; replaced the plug wires, plugs, cap, and rotor; new fuel filter; swapped in a '68, single vacuum distributor; replaced all of the heater, fuel, and vacuum hoses; and I'm currently working on swapping in a '68, dual bowl master cylinder.  Only problem there is I need to bench-bleed it, but it didn't come with the block-off plugs so I have to figure out how I'm going to cap off the ports so I can get it bled.

XXX
Brian Leavitt

My newest Addition

Reply #12
I clamp it in a vise and push a screw driver in to apply the piston while my other hands index and middle finger are "capping" the ports.  Works for me : )
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.

My newest Addition

Reply #13
That carb came out nice