Skip to main content
Topic: stay 2.3t or swap to v8 (Read 3574 times) previous topic - next topic

stay 2.3t or swap to v8

Reply #15
Bad gas mileage out of a good running 302 is a crock. I've been able to constantly get my cars beyond 25mpg almost every time I fill up. in my last two tanks of gas, I've hit over 1000miles and the gauge still reads above 1/4. I I put in 15 gallons when I filled up, but I forgot to clear the trip computer. even if you assumed I ran two tanks dry that's 22.5mpg. I'm guessing when I fill it up, it will be between 30 and 33mpg.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

stay 2.3t or swap to v8

Reply #16
I am keeping my TC as a 4cylinder.  With the new computers you can pull 400 easy and still get good mileage. I am looking at the Holley Avenger set up. You have to do a cost compare as well as you cant just drop a 5.0 in there.  You need the oil pan and headers, plus the computer and harness unless you are carbing it.  Just toss a junkyard holset on there and boost away! LOL

stay 2.3t or swap to v8

Reply #17
Quote from: rodsterh;428797
Any old pictures of your 83TC?

The ecoboost 2.3 swap is one I'd like to see and I'm sure it's just a matter of time till someone does it! Could give new life to some of our cars. :hick:

I looked at all my old pre digital pictures that I still have and could not find one of that car. It was a white 5 speed car and was in good shape until the accident. One thing I do remember about it was that it had those bs metric trx tires. That was not one of Fords better ideas! I drove it across the country one summer, it was a good car. The only problem I ever had with it was the clutch quadrant failed one day (broke into pieces while using the clutch).
I am sure I am not the only person thinking about doing an ecoboost swap. I am really interested in that engine, looking forward to seeing what people do with it.
1985 Turbo Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport
1996 F150

stay 2.3t or swap to v8

Reply #18
Thanks for all the replies. After alot of thought for the past few days , I have decided to swap to a small block.  I'm wanting low end torque for this car and I don't think the 2.3t will be able to deliver.  I would really like to put a 351w in there but not sure if it will clear the hood.  Definitely gonna be EFI for drivability.

stay 2.3t or swap to v8

Reply #19
Unless you get real crafty, an EFI Windsor won't clear a stock hood. You can space the K member down a little bit, and use custom mounts to gain a little more clearance. I believe Chuck W's mounts are a little "shorter" than stock type, as well as much stronger. As to whether he has any in stock, you'd have to communicate with him. I've got a set, ed good stuff, in case you were wondering. As good or better than anything you'd ever find in a catalog, which, of course you can't for these cars.

There's a fella here that has a 460 under a stock hood, but I believe his carbed.

I've wanted to do a 351w with Cleveland heads for years...before the end of the year, I'll have something going on. One can get pretty decent C heads out of Australia, at some expense, and they're better than anything you'd find in a junkyard, or from someone old stash of parts that may be shot to hell anyway..
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

stay 2.3t or swap to v8

Reply #20
Never really gave much thought to the whole "gas mileage" argument between the two engine types. That being said, my 2.3T averages 17-19 mpg but I just can't grandma drive it everywhere, lol! This is also a 2.3T that will flat ass embarrass a new 5.0 stang, new camaro and outrun GT500's unless they are heavily modded. I run a C4 auto and it takes off from a dead stop just fine. No overdrive keeps it from being a long distance cruiser, but my bird is probably a bit much for what you are wanting to do anyway.:hick:

Edit: And mine is not a "tuna can", lol. Rear seat delete, no A/C and Kirkey front seats. Still has P/S, PB, PW, the PRC suspension and a 8pt mild steel rollbar. Tuna can.....hadn't heard that one in a long time.;)
TC#1- 2.5T- 10.14@134....9.76@138 with a 50shot
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

stay 2.3t or swap to v8

Reply #21
Id really like to see a clevor efi setup. ever since the trickflow manifold, I've been tempted.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

stay 2.3t or swap to v8

Reply #22
I've always liked a V-8. I can't claim great gas mileage, but with the 3.55 gears and the "fun driving" I do, I can't complain either. It still does pretty good. I'd guess about 22 to 24 on the highway. But that V-8 sound and tire melting torque are pretty sweet too. I have NO doubt that there some Turbo Coupes that could outrun the Sport, but I really couldn't care less. There's ALWAYS somebody faster. I wanted what I have called a great "all around" car. Quick, comfortable,, has the options, A/C, etc. and it's own unique special features.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

stay 2.3t or swap to v8

Reply #23
I didn't mean to step on any of the V8 guys toes. I just wanted to make sure the OP knew that a streetable, fast 2.3 is very doable. By all means, everyone's idea of the perfect hot rod will be different. Carry on:cool:
TC#1- 2.5T- 10.14@134....9.76@138 with a 50shot
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

stay 2.3t or swap to v8

Reply #24
I felt no offense. There are two sides, plain and simple. I always think the owner should build for themselves, not by popular vote. Believe me, that is how I built the Sport.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

stay 2.3t or swap to v8

Reply #25
I like the uniqueness of a 2.3. If I could ever find a tc cheap id rock one out.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

stay 2.3t or swap to v8

Reply #26
Fast. Cheap. Reliable.

But you can only pick two....
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)