Skip to main content
Topic: I think the 87-88 Turbo Coupe body style was ahead of its time...... (Read 8898 times) previous topic - next topic

I think the 87-88 Turbo Coupe body style was ahead of its time......

I've always loved the 87-88 Thunderbird TC since it came out.

Looking at the later full sized Fords like the newer LTD the Thunderbird design of 87-88 looks actually more modern IMO.

I've tried my best to find the aero CD of the Turbo Coupe, but have been unsuccessful. I found a site that lists all of the T-birds collectively, but I don't put much stock in the numbers I saw. Of course CD is a rather baffling thing to understand, as a  Lambo Countach has a CD around .400 vs an 88 Mustang GT at around .340

Also, I really don't understand the dislike of the T-bird from the Mustang crowd. I was reading some threads on the T-bird and found a rather long post on a Mustang forum where the bird was being trashed.

Even though I have a garage full of Mustangs I really don't love the Fox Mustang design as its just too boxy vs the birds.

I've got way too many projects, but I wouldn't mind owning another bird TC. I would probably go with a new Shelby supercharged engine, and drive train as well as some Ridtec shockwave air shocks.

I've always had a thing for TC's painted black so that would be a must. There is a really nice silver TC for sale right now that I would like to buy. Its supercharged, and has some good upgrades like the bigger Cobra brakes, and a few other good parts, but too many things to have to fix. For example its got a T5 tranny for which isn't gonna last too long with the over 400rwhp, and a 5.0 block [gonna crack eventually at that hp level], and stock connecting rods [which I can't understand with good H-beam rods being in the $400 range].

So IF I do get around to buying another bird [I've owned a 55, and an 87 TC], I will probably just try to find a low mile factory car, and go from there.

Reply #1
not just those, the 83-86's also looked way more modern than a Town Car of the same time period.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #2
Quote from: M-train;427242
I've always loved the 87-88 Thunderbird TC since it came out.

I've tried my best to find the aero CD of the Turbo Coupe, but have been unsuccessful. I found a site that lists all of the T-birds collectively, but I don't put much stock in the numbers I saw. Of course CD is a rather baffling thing to understand, as a  Lambo Countach has a CD around .400 vs an 88 Mustang GT at around .340

1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe automatic overdrive

Specs of Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe automatic overdrive, model year 1988, version for North America U.S. (up to December) with 2-door coupe body type, RWD (rear-wheel drive) and automatic 3-speed gearbox. Basic http://www.automobile-catalog.com specs and characteristics: petrol (gasoline) engine of 2301 cm3 / 140.4 cui displacement with advertised power 112 kW / 150 hp / 152 PS ( SAE net ) / 4400 and 271 Nm / 200 lb-ft / 3000 of torque. Dimensions: this model outside length is 5133 mm / 202.1 in, it’s 1806 mm / 71.1 in wide and has wheelbase of 2647 mm / 104.2 in. The officially claimed value of a drag coefficient Cd = 0.35

The last sentence above should answer your question about 87/88 TC drag coefficient.

Ron

PS according to the site quoted qbove, the GT Hatchback had a CD of .36 & the GT vert .39
Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?    (M. M.)

Reply #3
Quote from: BLKBRD88;427255
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe automatic overdrive

Specs of Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe automatic overdrive, model year 1988, version for North America U.S. (up to December) with 2-door coupe body type, RWD (rear-wheel drive) and automatic 3-speed gearbox. Basic http://www.automobile-catalog.com specs and characteristics: petrol (gasoline) engine of 2301 cm3 / 140.4 cui displacement with advertised power 112 kW / 150 hp / 152 PS ( SAE net ) / 4400 and 271 Nm / 200 lb-ft / 3000 of torque. Dimensions: this model outside length is 5133 mm / 202.1 in, it’s 1806 mm / 71.1 in wide and has wheelbase of 2647 mm / 104.2 in. The officially claimed value of a drag coefficient Cd = 0.35

The last sentence above should answer your question about 87/88 TC drag coefficient.

Ron

PS according to the site quoted qbove, the GT Hatchback had a CD of .36 & the GT vert .39

That is the site I question the results as that is the same CD given for ALL Thunderbirds in those years. The TC's had different front ends which should give them a different CD than the rest.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/ford_usa/thunderbird_9gen/thunderbird_9gen_lx/1988.html

That same site also list the Mercury Capri all with the same CD when we all know some models had the huge bubble back on the hatch that made the CD around .26 [like I said AROUND .26 as I can't remember the exact number.]

Reply #4
why would they be different? most drag coefficients are measured.by the tallest and widest part of the car and nothing.else.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
Those 87-88 TC's look awesome.

I only have one left out of the 17 I have bought over the years.

Still love the 4 eye look too.
Both model T-Birds look sleek....even 30 plus years later.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #6
Quote from: M-train;427262
That is the site I question the results as that is the same CD given for ALL Thunderbirds in those years. The TC's had different front ends which should give them a different CD than the rest. ............

I can't imagine that the slight difference in TC front ends would make much drag difference, but you may be right on what you say, but I have found that this site seems to have most other info about our FoxBodies correct....much more so than a lot of other car info sites.
Ron
Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?    (M. M.)

Reply #8
I agree that the 83 'bird was ahead of its time. The 87-88s just seem to be when Ford put the "Total Package" together.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #9
With all of that being said, I still wonder why some of the Mustang crowd were so vocal on how much they disliked the car?

I don't get that. I mean it wasn't ment to be a Mustang, but more of a sport luxury vehicle, for which it hit the mark, spot on.

The only thing I would have changed was to have ditched the 2.3l, and went with the forced induction V6 that appeared on the 89, and up T-birds. Even though the little 2.3l did make hp the 87-88 TC was a bit heavy for that little engine, and I know all about it as I owned two SVO Mustangs.

The ultimate dream would have had the sport version of the T-bird with a 351w. Now that would have been a blast to drive.

Reply #10
I wouldn't wish that 3.8L supercharged engine on anyone in one of these cars.  There wasn't enough room to get to ANYTHING on an supercoupe, let alone trying to jam one of those in a fox.  I like the 2.3T cars(I have 3 of them), and with a few tricks done to them they are very potent.

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick:

Reply #11
Quote from: fordguy545;427338
I wouldn't wish that 3.8L supercharged engine on anyone in one of these cars.  There wasn't enough room to get to ANYTHING on an supercoupe, let alone trying to jam one of those in a fox.  I like the 2.3T cars(I have 3 of them), and with a few tricks done to them they are very potent.

LOL, I wouldn't wish a Ford 3.8 on anyone needing something other than a boat anchor or maybe a really big door stop...

My idea of the ultimate Factory '87 - '88 T-Bird Sport would include a HO 5.0/5-speed option with the Turbo Coupe styling and features avail(I've never cared for a std grille)... Yeah a  5.8 would have been nice but a larger engine would be a pipe dream, I'm talking realistic with off the shelf parts... Of course if it had been avail, Turbo Coupe production might have been 25% of what was produced...

Reply #12
Quote from: fordguy545;427338
That's what I thought too, but Foxes actually look like there's more under-the-hood room than the MN-12 had. Remember...the 5.0 didn't fit in the MN-12's at first!!

Quote from: TurboCoupe50;427347
LOL, I wouldn't wish a Ford 3.8 on anyone needing something other than a boat anchor or maybe a really big door stop...

My idea of the ultimate Factory '87 - '88 T-Bird Sport would include a HO 5.0/5-speed option with the Turbo Coupe styling and features avail(I've never cared for a std grille)

Idk, head/head gaskets aside, I think the 3.8 block was halfway decent.

Yeah, that would have been sweet, esp since the Sport was basically a TC with a 5.0.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #13
Quote from: White85GS;427354
Yeah, that would have been sweet, esp since the Sport was basically a TC with a 5.0.

Other than the '88 Sport interior, not really the same at all... '87 did have a full console but seats were nowhere as nice as TC plus used that goofy digital cluster... TC has 11" front brakes and discs out back, Sport 10" and drum brakes out back... TC has 3.55 or 3.73 8.8" rear, Sport no better than 3.08 in the maybe 8.8", most had 2.73 7.5" rears... TC state of the art(for the time) ABS, Sport ABwhat??? TC Automatic Ride Control, like ABS not to be found on the Sport...

I've been asked(mostly by the TC guys) why I swapped a 5.0 into my car and not mod a Bird that already had the V8??? Their reasoning is it would have been much easier... My reasoning was it would be harder to swap all the unique TC features to a Sport than the engine & trans to a TC... Then comes the but you ruined a rare car, which is not the case at all... TC accounted for approx 25% of the production in '87 & '88, so assuming the base & LX outsold TC, the Sport is actually the least produced(but it isn't rare)...

Reply #14
Ford used the Fox cars as development mules for the supercharged 3.8, and even made up a couple of concept cars for Dearborn Police. I don't know if the cars were ever delivered to the cops, but I would say they probably were - what better way to durability test an engine than give it to cops to beat the hell out of?

XX

As for being ahead of their time, I've said this for years, and I've also said that's why they'll never get the "collector" status of other 80's cars, such as GM's G-bodies, 3rd gen F-bodies, and Fox Stangs. A big part of an old car's desirability is that it represents the era it came from. These cars, being ahead of their time, don't quite fit the 80's nostalgia thing, and they don't really represent the 90's either. They are orphans of time. The lackluster powertrains (3.8 and 5.0 SO) and expensive/complicated Turbo Coupes didn't help matters. I'm with Tom: Ford should've offered the 5.0 HO, at the bare minimum with an automatic, but preferably with a 5-speed available as well. But that would have cut into both Mustang and Mark VII sales...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣