Skip to main content
Topic: Best Bolt-on Exhaust kit? NEW W/ PICS! (Read 4780 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best Bolt-on Exhaust kit?

Reply #15
fuel filter in the way, how much area is there to install a ler

Yeah I had to move mine over. No big deal just a couple of inches. I think I welded the bracket back up or put a couple of self-tapper screws in it. It was so long ago (9+ years ago  :crazy: ) sorry I can't remember all the details
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #16
theres enough room for a ler, since the 88 cars came from the factory with some fake duals

tailpipes are the harder part
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #17
Anybody ever try an x pipe with dual super 40s? what about having the tips line up with the back up lights(on an 84 mind you). Would that work?
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #18
mine is going to be a pair of stang headers (stock or aftermarket ) H-pipe with cats (bbk or catco) summit stanless lers (singal chamber will it be too loud ?) and sum stainless tubeing 
all this can be found in the summit catalog for may/june 05 but the tubeing
Z
hunting for another 87-88 bird
If it's got tits or tires its gunna cost you money !

Reply #19
Quote from: Tbird232ci
theres enough room for a ler, since the 88 cars came from the factory with some fake duals

tailpipes are the harder part

Hey Shawn, it looks like he has an '86, which means he would have to move the fuel filter. :hick:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #20
I already purchased a BBK kit that has new converters and an x pipe. Once the kit is in place with no problems, I will go from there. The kit from Jegs was approx. $330. 2.5 inch pipes.

Reply #21
after reading about upgrades with headers, was wondering what year mustang do you use? and h-pipes? i have an 86 cougar with the 3.8.

Reply #22
Quote from: waferman
after reading about upgrades with headers, was wondering what year mustang do you use? and h-pipes? i have an 86 cougar with the 3.8.

87-93  ;)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #23
youre slipping, he said 3.8L ;)

for the 3.8L, go to ebay, and find yourself a stock set of headers from a 94-97 3.8L mustang
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #24
Quote from: Tbird232ci
youre slipping, he said 3.8L ;)

for the 3.8L, go to ebay, and find yourself a stock set of headers from a 94-97 3.8L mustang

:bricks1:  :flame:    lol  (must have 5.0 on the brain)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

Reply #25
dose anyone  know how much too short a mustang exhaust is ?

Z

Reply #26
About a foot or so if I remember right, don't quote me on that.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #27
correct me if im wrong  so every fox t-bird, mustang, cougar etc.. are all the drive shaft the same length  so dose the mustang exhaust just need longer tips or are there other pipes that need to be lengthined ??

Z

Reply #28
Just longer tails [EDIT] and intermediate pipes[/EDIT] thats all. Just got done helping a friend install a Flowmaster American thunder kit  on his Cougar. Lets just say 2 1/2 inch pipe is a PITA to get over the axle. Sounds awesome.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #29
Quote from: hundred_dollar_5.0_t-bird
correct me if im wrong  so every fox t-bird, mustang, cougar etc.. are all the drive shaft the same length  so dose the mustang exhaust just need longer tips or are there other pipes that need to be lengthined ??

Z

NOPE... A Stang has a shorter driveshaft(wheelbase), so the intermediate pipes have to be lengthened. Also the Birds have more overhang in the rear, so usually the tail pipes need lenghtened as well.

That said, the 2 1/2" Hooker kit I have(Jegs sells it)comes with extra long pipes that have to be cut a little when used on a Bird(possibly the same for other kits as well). It Is a complete kit except for lers, so you can run whatever you prefer. The tail pipes are also long enough IF you use the supplied turndowns..