Skip to main content
Topic: Aftermarket stereo install (Read 10010 times) previous topic - next topic

Aftermarket stereo install

Ok this is the best I have found so far as a color chart http://www.modifiedlife.com/1988-ford-thunderbird-car-stereo-wiring-diagram/

But for the rear there is no green wire on the harness and why in the hell would I hook up my front speakers to the ground wire

I've installed a few stereos but not like how this is

Also I have some speakers that will go in and I took a look at the stock 6x9's they have 4 wires going to them wtf

Why is this car like non other lol

Reply #1
premium sound. Google it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
I hate Ford Premium sound systems, lol. My 90 SHO had it.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #3
Yea it seems like a nightmare lol

Found somthing else that exsplanes it a little bit but I don't have a eq or factory amp

Now I know why this car has the factory tape player lol

Reply #4
I always just cut the connectors off, stick a 9 volt to the two wires with and without stripe till I get sound. a lot of the time I just run new wires to the doors and dash. real easy if you want to revert back to a factory setup later.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #5
Yea seems the ez way is to run new wire

Reply #6
so is everyone saying that the best way to put a new stereo in a car with premium is to rewire and eliminate the stock stuff completely, what do you do with the factory EQ

Reply #7
I've never actually seen a factory eq that worked properly. I always find them with toothpicks jammed into the power on/off button.

I personally believe its up to who owns the car. I actually quite enjoyed the stock premium sound with eq on my crown vic. I did eventually throw a cd player in it though. but the stock speakers and everything sounded fine, and I just ran a tape deck adapter to play music off of my phone.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.