Skip to main content
Topic: 5 speed transmission options (Read 4075 times) previous topic - next topic

5 speed transmission options

I have a T-5 in my 85 T-bird with a 351W, I would like a stronger 5 speed transmission and was wondering what options I have and what I would need. I did a search on here for tremec transmissions and not much comes up.  Does anyone use a tremec?

Reply #1
I used a tremec in a 82 mustang with a stroked 351 on nitrous that car ran high 10s and I never had a problem, you will have to change from the t5 bell housing to and aftermarket one or find one from a SROD  trans I know early v8  fox mustangs with 4 speeds came with that bell housing

Reply #2
You can go cheap with a 3550 and only have to change the bell and x member or you can get a beefer TKO and have to change the clutch and yoke

The shifters will be different also

Reply #3
Thanks. It seems like almost every 5 speed t-bird is using a T-5, is anyone using a tremec in a T-bird?

Reply #4
I have a tremec 3550 in my cougar behind my 408w,  with a mcleod steal bell housing.  If I was buying now it would probably be tremec TKO 600 which is the replacement for the tremec 3550,  good up to 600 lb/ft..

here's a link with some specs:http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-tremec-tko-600.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
What did you have to do for a crossmember for the TKO 600?                 

Quote from: Bob;422819
I have a tremec 3550 in my cougar behind my 408w,  with a mcleod steal bell housing.  If I was buying now it would probably be tremec TKO 600 which is the replacement for the tremec 3550,  good up to 600 lb/ft..

here's a link with some specs:http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-tremec-tko-600.html

Reply #6
T56 and call it a DAY!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #7
Quote from: cqk56;422854
What did you have to do for a crossmember for the TKO 600?

I believe it the stock one,  it's in the link I posted:

1979-1993 Installation Notes. Installation of the Ford Racing Tremec TKO 600 Transmission in a 1979 to 1993 Mustang will require the use of a Ford Racing M-5059-A crossmember, 1979-1981 will models will require some modifications.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
Tremec has manufactured and is currently manufacturing the following:

T-5 (used to be owned by Borg Warner but Tremec bought them a few years back)
3550 - no longer manufactured, input shaft is an 10 spline and output shaft is a 28 spline so it works with the clutch that the T-5 was behind thus pretty popular replacement for the T-5 back in the day
TKO - no longer manufactured, input shaft is a 26 spline and the output shaft is a 31 spline which required a new clutch and yolk for the trans (usually required the DS to be shortened as well)
TKO 500 - replacement for the 3350,  input shaft is an 10 spline and output shaft is a 31 spline so you are back to changing the yolk on the DS
TKO 600 - basically the replacement for the original TKO but shifts much nicer, input shaft is an 26 spline and output shaft is a 31 spline so its a different clutch and yolk

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #9
Thanks for the info... 

Quote from: Aerocoupe;422957
Tremec has manufactured and is currently manufacturing the following:

T-5 (used to be owned by Borg Warner but Tremec bought them a few years back)
3550 - no longer manufactured, input shaft is an 10 spline and output shaft is a 28 spline so it works with the clutch that the T-5 was behind thus pretty popular replacement for the T-5 back in the day
TKO - no longer manufactured, input shaft is a 26 spline and the output shaft is a 31 spline which required a new clutch and yolk for the trans (usually required the DS to be shortened as well)
TKO 500 - replacement for the 3350,  input shaft is an 10 spline and output shaft is a 31 spline so you are back to changing the yolk on the DS
TKO 600 - basically the replacement for the original TKO but shifts much nicer, input shaft is an 26 spline and output shaft is a 31 spline so its a different clutch and yolk

Darren

Reply #10
I was just wondering why a discussion on a 5 Speeder. The T56 is as strong as a TKO600 and has an additional gear to boot. Basically you can run real stout final drive gears with a T56. In my view the TKO in 2.87 first gear ratio configuration is a good tranny but it lacks the needed sixth gear to be a real good choice. Like i said T56 is what i would do and i would not look back for one second!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #11
Quote from: TOM Renzo;423031
I was just wondering why a discussion on a 5 Speeder. The T56 is as strong as a TKO600 and has an additional gear to boot. Basically you can run real stout final drive gears with a T56. In my view the TKO in 2.87 first gear ratio configuration is a good tranny but it lacks the needed sixth gear to be a real good choice. Like i said T56 is what i would do and i would not look back for one second!!

What does it take to put a T56 into a T-bird? I have not heard of any in a T-Bird.

Reply #12
there's one or two running around on this board right now. same as any fox mustang. shorten driveshaft and use "correct" crossmenber.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com