Skip to main content
Topic: Gas tank won't fill to full. (Read 13194 times) previous topic - next topic

Gas tank won't fill to full.

Reply #45
Lou, I have an extra black plastic part you're talking about. If you want it, it's yours.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #46
Quote from: thunderjet302;434972
How full was the tank? It takes quite awhile for the gauge in my Thunderbird to come off F. F is 22 gallons. The next number below F is 20 so it will take a good 30+ miles of "normal" driving to get it to come down.

I had 6 gallons I think.  Next morning it read 9.  Day after read 7.  Should have read 4 by that point.  Put $30 in and it stopped.  I've run it that low since without issue.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #47
Quote from: 1BadBird;434981
Lou, I have an extra black plastic part you're talking about. If you want it, it's yours.

Thanks for the offer. I managed to JB Weld mine back together. I did it from the back. Looks just like stock.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #48
Quote from: V8Demon;434982
I had 6 gallons I think.  Next morning it read 9.  Day after read 7.  Should have read 4 by that point.  Put $30 in and it stopped.  I've run it that low since without issue.

If I run mine below 7 gallons it will sometimes go to E and slowly climb back up to 7. I think it's a float/sender issue.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #49
I wonder if that could be the issue with my TC.  Depending on how the car is parked tilted one way or the other, depends on how full the tank gets and how the gauge reads when I'm done.    Doesn't read clear full all the time.  But I have a regular type gauge, not the digital one.    I think I'll check that filler neck here when I get a chance.  Good thread to read.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #50
The best way is to either SUMP the tank and install a rail pump and or mount the pump horizontal to the bottom. problem fixed.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #51
Quote from: TOM Renzo;434989
The best way is to either SUMP the tank and install a rail pump and or mount the pump horizontal to the bottom. problem fixed.

Eventually I will do that. For now I just keep the tank above 1/2 full till I get around to it.

Reply #52
I know Im a little late here, but mine did the same thing. The gas pump shut off at 17gallons. I have a 21gallon tank. I tried filling it up again. Nothing. about a week later, filled up at a different station, never happened again. weird.

And regarding your instrument cluster, my dads friend worked a ford dealership and he said the clusters go bad every now and then. Mine had a issue where the speedo didnt show anything. Just blank. Didnt even read 0mph. Blank.
Needless to say, I got a new cluster. No problems since.

And important side note, if you have a full digital cluster, your odometer reading is stored IN the cluster so if you swap clusters, your odo is way off. And you have to do maths to calc your actual mileage.
Oh, and I know the digital odometers roll over at 200K miles....the go from 199,999.9 Miles to 100,000.0 miles
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Reply #53
I had to replace a tank in another car and noticed there was no conductive path from the filler tube to the car or any other part of it. The filler was surrounded by rubber where it entered the tank on one end and the other end bolted to a large plastic shroud type thing. There was no ground strap or anything I could find that would allow any electrical difference of potential (static charge) between the filler tube and the rest of the car to safely neutralize. Am I misunderstanding something here?
It's not a Cougar or TBird so I didn't think this question qualified for its own thread.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #54
Believe it or not the fill pipe that is rubber contains carbon that conducts electricity fairly well. I once played a joke on a state inspector at an emission seminar in Ct. He was demonstrating how NOX can be easily repaired. He broke for a break and me and John stayed in the shop alone. So i cut a piece of 1/4 inch vacuum hose and replaced it with the coil center wire. Thinking the car would not run and drive this inspector nuts. Well the car started perfectly and ran just fine. I confessed doing it as a joke and we were all shocked that the car ran and ran perfectly. The reason was the hose was loaded with carbon that conducts. So we were told that those filler hoses are in fact conductive and do not need to be grounded. This seems like it's true as many cars we service do not have ground straps any more. have a good weekend guys.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!