Skip to main content
Topic: Sputtering/stalls first start of the day (Read 1562 times) previous topic - next topic

Sputtering/stalls first start of the day

Like the title says, it will only do this the first start of the day, 2nd start, it'll idle a little high, then come down to normal like 30 sec or so later. After this, it's fine all day long. If I give it gas after that first start, it won't die. What should I be checking?
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #2
These cfi's don't need to be primed like a carburetor does, do they? I know that they have a higher fuel psi than a carb, but still lower than multi port FI.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #4
What usually causes leakdown?

Reply #5
Try tapping the gas pedal before you crank.
The 5.0 CFI has a fast idle step cam like on a carb. The cam can't move to the fast idle step with the spring tension of the throttle linkage on it.

Reply #6
Actually, I did pump it a few times once, I know your not supposed to do that with FI, but it didn't sputter or die when I started it.

Reply #7
Soft touch nailed it, I checked my manual and is does infact say to start a 5.0 CFI the same way you'd start a carb'ed one!

Reply #8
just goes to show how small the world is.

a JY  owner drives a CFI 5.0 and i told him the same thing yesterday, its odd but true that they kina act  like a carb

this guys CFI has the vac choke pull off assemly on the pass side of the  CFI

Reply #9
how old is the fuel filter?  Cheap and easy to do, definitely would not hurt anything.