Skip to main content
Topic: clutch noise (Read 2834 times) previous topic - next topic

clutch noise

My clutch or whatever related component, makes a weird noise. The noise is heard in gears 1,2,3 and 5. And in idle.
But when I press the clutch pedal it goes away. It sounds like when you have a tire that is going flat. It's not a constant noise, but it is annoying. It doesn't sound that loud inside, but when my dad took the car for a spin today, it is definitely noticeable. The car still drives very well.
I think it might be the fork bearing but not sure. Any idea?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

clutch noise

Reply #1
Throw out bearing

clutch noise

Reply #2
That's what it sounds like to me

clutch noise

Reply #3
x3
Mike

clutch noise

Reply #4
Sounds like a rattling bearing on the fork. Throw out bearing but why not in Fourth GEAR??????????????????????? Makes absolutely no sense. Is the noise when the car is stopped and the clutch disengaged. Or is it when the car is moving. The Throw out bearing is most likely but why not in Fourth. That is something that baffles me. Check it again and post back???????

Is your car a TC looks like it from the photo. If so it has a busted set of buffer springs on the fork. Unfortunately the fork is quite obsolete.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

clutch noise

Reply #5
Countershaft bearing, either fore or aft.  It would explain why you don't have noise in 4th.  4th is direct drive, the in and out shafts are locked together and no torque is being carried through the countershaft.  In 4th or when clutched, the countershaft just idles.  I think it's time to pull it out and take it apart.

clutch noise

Reply #7
Foe that is what i am thinking as fourth is straight through!! But those TC forks are known to rattle like crazy. I just ignore it!!  The fact that it does not do it in FORTH was the issue. That is why i asked him to recheck it. The cluster bearinmgs or cluster is a distinct possibility

NOTE he can go under the car with it running and grab the fork and twist it. If the NOISE stops case closed. If not it is bad news.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

clutch noise

Reply #10
Better start looking for a tranny shop or a TRANNY. Your tranny is TOAST!! Cluster Gear is TOAST SORRY. Good luck!

clutch noise

Reply #11
 this sucks! I just sold the extra tranny I had about 3 weeks ago.:mad:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

clutch noise

Reply #12
Buy a kit and rebuild it.  The manual on the tranny is on Tremec's site and there are several videos online that show how to build one.  Worst case is find a local guy to do it.  The last time I had my WC T-5 built is was about $300 in parts and $100 in labor.  Took the guy one evening to disassemble and tell me what to order and then one evening to put it back together.  If you buy one for $400 you may or may not be getting the same piece of  you have now but with a rebuild you know what you are getting.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

clutch noise

Reply #13
At best he is going to need a main drive and cluster and the other gear that is stripped or has teeth missing. That is very expensive and along with labor and a small parts kit. Not a cheap TRANNY TO BUILD CORRECTLY. And if it is a TC tranny it has different gears that are OBSOLETE!!

clutch noise

Reply #14
The OP will not know until its pulled and torn down at which point a parts list can be made and he and the builder can go from there.  On top of that the 2.3L Mustangs with a T-5 have the exact same gearing as the TC does and the input shafts are the same length:

1st - 3.97    2nd - 2.34    3rd - 1.46    4th - 1.00    5th - 0.79    Reverse - 3.70  87-88 TC
1st - 3.97    2nd - 2.34    3rd - 1.46    4th - 1.00    5th - 0.79    Reverse - 3.70  87-93 2.3L Mustang

Something tells me that with a little salvage/recycle/junk yard pillaging this could be fixed for fairly cheap.  Then again Tom could be totally right and it may be toast but until it is torn down the OP will not know.  I would source a Mustang 2.3L T-5 that is in good shape as they can be found for $200 or less.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp