Skip to main content
Topic: Direct fit H-pipe for 1988 Thunderbird Sport ? (Read 6583 times) previous topic - next topic

Direct fit H-pipe for 1988 Thunderbird Sport ?

I am looking for an H-pipe that will directly fit my 88 Thunderbird Sport Coupe (5.0). I have seen the BBK off road pipe used on Mustangs but I don't know if they are long enough for my car. These will be going to a pair of Flowmaster 42443 lers. I was also considering upgrading to a pair of Hedman 88380 headers as well.

If there are no "direct fit" H pipes, my other option is hollowing out the cat and adding a better Y pipe, like a Cherry Bomb ?

Thanks for any info... :D

X

X
X

Reply #1
The big one is you have to use shorty mustang headers and then you can use a 87-93 Mustang Hpipe (with cats or w/o).  They will not bolt up to stock cast iron Tbird manifolds.  This will also route your oxygen sensors downstream further so you will need either longer oxygen sensors or add length to old ones wires.

I have a Pacesetter offroad Hpipe on my 88 Cougar XR-7 and it fit decent.  Had to hack off the ears for the crossmember brace and dimple by the shifter cable bracketry on the transmission.

With the Standard Output 5.0 in your bird, I would not go any bigger than stock 87-93 5.0HO Mustang or Lincoln Mark VI (LSC) tubular headers and a 2 1/4" hpipe.  coolcats.net has good info on the 1983-1988 fox Thunderbird and Cougar and stages of modification.

Reply #2
Thanks for the info...Im thinkin I should just stick with my Ypipe setup, but I just purchased a pair of Flowmaster 44 series lers and I noticed my stock lers appear to be two different sizes (driver's side is longer). The flowmasters are identical in size. If I mount the flowmasters up, is the Y pipe not going to be long enough on one side ? I would like to keep the lers mounted where they are so I can add the tail pipes later. I had to purchase a replacement Y pipe from Walker because my stock one was all rusted and had to be cut off.

Thanks

Reply #3
Agree with eveything beast50 stated.  I used a BBK 2 1/4 catted H-pipe with oem shorty headers.  The pipes from the rear  of the H-pipe to the lers must be made longer than mustang pieces to account for the additional wheelbase.  The oem lers are indeed slightly different sizes (case length, not pipe size) to combat exhaust drone these engines produce at certain rpm's.  Now, what is annoying exhaust noise to some is music to others, its all subjective when it comes to this. But that factory "Y" with its single cat I believe is the biggest restriction in the factory system.

Reply #4
Get some factory Mustang shorty headers (they can be found super cheap), install them. Install the H-Pipe of your choice for a Mustang (Fox body) have the ler shop go from there. Anybody with aftermarket lers will have two of the same kind and size under their car, and there's plenty of room for them. Easy stuff, and worth the time for a good exhaust.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Y-pipes are for sissies.  The Mustang H-pipe IS the direct fit H.  If you're squeamish get a Mark VII pipe.  It's smaller, but either way you slice it you need  the HO stock headers (at minimum).  There is no such thing as a better Y-pipe, pull it off, sell it to the catalytic converter recyclers and forget you ever had it. The Mark VII exhaust is all 2", but the lengths are right, the mounts are right, and it's the bare minimum you should consider.  You will have to go from the ports to the bumper no matter what you do, so man up and get moving.  If they sniff in NY, don't sweat it, the Mark VII stuff will pass AT LEAST as clean as the single exhaust.  If you get NEW parts it may even be cleaner.

That's a real sharp ride, make sure you hook it up right, if you don't you'll look and feel like a half-ass and that's not really who you are.  Is it?

Reply #6
So if my 5.0 EFI engine is all stock, what kind of headers are on there right now ? I need to get everything in the correct lengths and sizes to make sure it all bolts up correctly, and reaches the lers okay

I forgot to mention my cat IS now hollowed out and still intact with the Y pipe...is the H pipe still going to make much difference ?

Reply #7
The manifolds you have now are cast iron and they suck,  throw them away. Once you do, get 1 5/8 shorty headers for a Mustang, check steering shaft clearance, relief the header tubes as necessary to avoid conflict.  Once you have headers, your y-pipe will no longer fit the s, owing to the wider bolt pattern on all available headers (even the stock headers from the HO).  This is ok, because you don't want the y-pipe anymore anyway. Throw it away, cats or no cats a y-pipe is garbage.  Get a H-pipe for a 79-93 5.0 Mustang, it will fit perfectly as the difference in the car's length is AFTER this point.  Here's where it gets sticky.  You get the cat-back for a 86-93 5.0 Mustang (GT or LX is simply a matter of aesthetics. GT tails ride higher and turn down at the end, LX tails hang slightly lower and dump straight) The lers are the same, the inlet pipes need to be lengthened several inches but it's not brain surgery, the tails will also have to be extended, but the extension will be needed in the straight section, so that's not rocket science either (if you use LX tails, you can just install long chrome tips) then you need to hang the piped using the T-bird hangers. done.

Reply #8
If you are in the market for a set of stock mustang headers, I have a set... PM me if interested
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #9
Stock headers from a Fox Stang will be just fine, BUT, if you go with aftermarket headers, don't get equal length headers. It'll just be a huge pain for you. Also, your engine lift tabs will have to go. they are different from Mustang style pieces.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #10
I think replacing the headers equals "headache"....im gonna just go with a nice pair of Flowmaster 44 knockoffs ($27 each..cant beat that) and end the pipes at the lers, with maybe some turndown tips. Should sound good with the 5.0 and no cat. Im not looking to race anyone...just change the sound of the engine / exhaust. It's too restricted right now.

Reply #11
I had turn downs on my lers....had to have tail pipes. The drone killed me. Sure, it's cool for a while, but a short while.

Reply #12
Adding the new exhaust is very straight forward. It's sounds more complicated than it is....bottom line...

1. Unbolt and remove old exhaust.
2. Install headers and H-Pipe
3. have ler shop install lers and pipes out the back. new system. Better power, even from a stock engine, and done.

Reply #13
I honestly don't mine the interior noise...im actually looking for that "growl" or rumble that im not getting right now, except when I ran open headers....but that was just too much and cop attracting...lol.

Reply #14
But are you looking for that growl that drills a hole in your head?  because that's what you'll get with flowmasters echoing off the ground.  Besides, you'll never get turn-downs through inspection.  Headers are easy, they'll drop right in, I promise,  The H-pipe will slip in place fairly easily as well, combine that with some o2 sensor extensions and you can't go wrong.