Skip to main content
Topic: adding ABS (Read 2661 times) previous topic - next topic

adding ABS

anyone added ABS to their car?

Re: adding ABS

Reply #2
Hey, cool, someone in Fort Myers.. only about, what, 40 miles south of me?

I think this has come up before.. and was labelled as hideously complicated to pull off. I'd have to search for it to say more than that.

Reply #3
ya, there's two ways that I've heard to go about doing it:  either you rape a TC of it's ABS (which would be very hard), or you retrofit ABS from the 1994 and up stangs (which would be very hard).  Of the two, the latter idea is probably much better, as the early Bosch ABS systems are scary-unsafe, mainly b/c of their age and lack of cheap, bountiful replacement parts.

Reply #4
Yep, 1994-up ABS system would do it. You could probably use Turbo Coupe front rotors/spindles and a TC rear end, and just swap in the SN95 sensors, if you wanted to keep it 4-lug. Otherwise the full SN95 5-lug braking system would need to be installed. And all the wiring and plumbing to go with it. But it would work.

Reply #5
A pretty thorough write-up of a SN95 ABS installation on a Fox chassis is here. This is on my plate o' upgrades. Running new brake lines seems to be the hardest part.
I'd stay away from the TC ABS. The Bosche ABS works better than the TC's Teves Mark II ABS. In addition, as joefriday mentioned, parts are more available for the Bosche system.

Reply #6
Not to be a wise guy but my question is why would anybody want to do this.  There are a lot more cars without ABS than with and I don't see them wrecking all over the place.  In fact the studies I heard about (can't prove this) show that the accident rate for non-abs and abs to be equal and even insurance companies are no longer giving the discount for it.

Let the force be with you and don't depend on a computer to do your thinking (or foot pumping) for you.  Put your money into more power, bigger brakes, and any hot rod stuff they can sell.  Or just go out and buy a 2005 Mustang GT.

I'm currently ripping all that  out the car.  Millions of wires, two computers (also the auto suspension) and tons of sensors.  Can't wait to see the dash light up with errors.

TED

Reply #7
yes, I'm meant the Teves system was not good.  Sorry I mixed up the two.

Reply #8
My only car with ABS (not even the '05 Neon has it) was a '92 Taurus SHO.  I've NEVER had a car handle so poorly in incliment weather.  Once I was trying to turn as I was slowing down to pull into Burger King and the ABS activated and the car, halfway through the turn headed straight for the curb, I managed to get the car unsaddled from the curb, but after that I seriously considered pulling the ABS fuse.

Reply #10
Quote from: 88turbo
will the bosche abs system plug into an 88TC?

In short.... no.

Reply #11
Quote from: EricCoolCats
Yep, 1994-up ABS system would do it. You could probably use Turbo Coupe front rotors/spindles and a TC rear end, and just swap in the SN95 sensors, if you wanted to keep it 4-lug. Otherwise the full SN95 5-lug braking system would need to be installed. And all the wiring and plumbing to go with it. But it would work.

I have a set of '94 Stang rear axles and the exciter rings are a good bit different(larger coarser teeth), than on the Bird axles. Never looked at a SN95 front rotor(hub), so I'm not sure about those..

Yu'all can  the old Teves ABS if you want, I'm keepin mine(and have the spare parts to do so for a long time).

Reply #12
Just thinking... since I'm converting to the turbo coupe rear and front brakes on my Sport Coupe maybe I'd go ahead and add the ABS for cool factor...:screwy: also my insurance company does give a discount for ABS on my Turbo Coupe.