Skip to main content
Topic: Driver side rear caliper issue (Read 1722 times) previous topic - next topic

Driver side rear caliper issue

I changed over to vacuum brakes somewhere in april of this year. I used a 92 mustang gt brake booster with a 95 gt master cylinder. The pedal has a good feel and vehicle stops are pretty good and balanced.

I replaced the rear passenger side caliper twice. The first one seized up within a couple of days. The second one (currently installed) has been working pretty well.

I rebuilt the driver side caliper. But I had to replace it about 3 weeks ago. Because it started to seize up and one of the pads was worn down to the metal. So I replaced it with a new/refurb caliper. On long drives it smells like burnt brake pads, and if I sprinkle some water on it, it sizzles. I can see that the caliper has insufficient pressure due to the surface rust on the rotor. Rust from when the car sits for a day after it rains. 

What may be causing this problem?

Also, I had replaced all pads when I did the conversion.
And the parking brake cables have been removed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #1
It smells like burnt pad and is hot enough to sizzle water but there's still rust on the rotor from sitting ?

Reply #2
I'm guessing either the pad isn't touching the whole disc (think seized floating pins or whatever it called) or that the caliper is off square to the disc.

have a cheap laser thermometer? when you pull into a parking lot and you can smell breaks, check temps on all 4 rotors and see if one is sticking or both rears.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
The inner pad heats up, but the outer(visual one) doesn't have enough pressure.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
seized caliper slide pins or improper alignment of brackets.

plug the holes in your caliper, unbolt the caliper itself so its just sitting on the rotor. apply 1/4" air hose to the open bleed screw and see it your caliper bolts line up or if the pins are not sliding.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
When I buy reman calipers I always grease the slides and inside of the boots with High Temperature brake lube.  The reman. company sells them semi or loaded to bolt on but I always regrease that way if they have a slide stuck, I can make sure it's not when I install them.

Reply #6
Is this a tc rear? Is the parking brake hooked up?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #7
Quote from: BlackTHUNDA;420711
And the parking brake cables have been removed.

Quote from: Kitz Kat;421033
Is this a tc rear? Is the parking brake hooked up?

They look to be gone.  I'm in agreement that there is an alignment issue with the slide pins and the bracket(s)

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #8
Did you read my caliper modification that addresses this issue. More times than not the pins are the issue. Look up my caliper bracket MOD and your issues are over. If one side wears out the pads most likely the piston side that means the caliper is not floating and the pins need my MOD!!

Your pins are FROZEN!!

Here you go my mod

I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #9
That's what my rotor looks like! Inner side is effed up.
I'll work on this issue tomorrow. Thanks dudes!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]