Skip to main content
Topic: a/c question (Read 991 times) previous topic - next topic

a/c question

have now changed out every parts of the a/c system condensor,evaporator, acspoogeulator, all hose, both peices of the ETC in the dash. Pulled the sytem down with a vaspoogen pump. held 30 pounds vaspoogem for over 2 hours. charged the system, had a samll problem with the pressure switch. Fixed the switch ran the system nice cold air. ran the leak detector around no hits, system worked for about 8 hours. the next morning no cold. still no leaks detected but system pressure is low. I'm reluctant to try stop leak or UV dye at this point, i don't wnat to have to buy another expansion line. any ideas on leak areas that i might not have hit with the detector?
Baylensman 97 XR7

Re: a/c question

Reply #1
Did you check the compressor shaft seal and put detector in the vents to check for evaporator leaks? Sticking the probe up the evap. drain is also a good way to check for evap. leaks. Make sure you don't get any water in the probe, as it will ruin it. It would probably be a good idea to check the condenser if you haven't already. What detector are you using?

It looks like it leaked out in less than 24 hours. You must have a big leak to do that. If putting in a little 134 again doesn't let you find the leak, rent a nitrogen tank and jack the pressure up to 150-200 psi. The nitrogen deal will be expensive though, a regulator is $100. Renting is probably only $20 or so, plus however much nitrogen you use ($1-$5).

Reply #2
quick update. i guess i let some dirt in the system. Sytem is full on the high side dead on the low side. I guess orifice tube is clogged. Drain it down. Replace or clean new tube then charge and try again. I figured with all new parts i would be safe, but since some of the items were old stock, some crud was inside. Oh well. whats another couple of bucks.
Any ideas on a safe way to back flush and clean system. Other than going to an A/C shop? I can pull and recover my fridgerent, but don't have any other supplies.
Baylensman 97 XR7

Reply #3
I use brake parts cleaner. Lots of it. Then vacuum down for a long time and charge the system back up.

Reply #4
puller the  liquid line again. sent the brake cleana through it both ways with air line. hooked up system sucked it dry then did the r-134 conversion. freon/r12 mix is to hard to get  only two wholesalers in county handle it now. Well all done friday around 4:00 pm drove car all weekend. with the EATC set at 60 you can hang meet in the car i mean like BRRRRRRRR!! another problem cropped up though A/C won't kick on is i set the EATC at above 75 degreee no matter what the outside temp is. could i have a bad ambient temp sensor? or is there something else i need to check.
Baylensman 97 XR7